Cutting Back in Retirement and Still Having Fun

For many people retirement may require some spending cutbacks, but that does not mean you can't still have fun. This is a guide about cutting back in retirement and still having fun.

September 7, 2013 Flag

Well, here we are in retirement. For years, my husband and I had planned our budget for retirement years while we were working. Since money does not go as far as it used to, we have had to cut back on spending and still enjoy these Golden Years. Here are changes we have made to help save money, yet still enjoy life.

• One of the first things I did was to cut back on spending money for foundation makeup; cheaper works well. I get my hair cut less often than before. It makes me feel good to change my hair style from shorter to longer during the year, plus I air dry my hair. Instead of using a hair dryer; roll hair on curlers, instead of using curling iron. This is saving money on electric bill.

• Since retiring, I have cut down on buying clothes. There is enjoyment in trying new mix/matching of clothes already in my closet. When I do buy new clothes, it is either at thrift shop, yard sale, or end of season department store sale. When black slacks and capris fade and need to be revived, I just dye them. Cheaper than buying new clothes!

• Making recycled crafts (example: earrings made from punch out designs of aluminum cans) is a passion of mine. They make great gifts, plus I sell them.

• Dining out is a treat for us. We do our best to be frugal at a restaurant. We consider it as a social time with other retirees. This is an entertainment for us too.

We are enjoying life and yes we do spend money, but we are doing without somethings so we can have money to spend and enjoy on other things that are pleasures to us in these retirement years.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Top Comment

Totally agree with your retirement strategies, my husband and I have been retired for 2 years and it is fun going into my closet and changing up outfits, adding accessories such as scarves jewelry other items that will make the output for different, I'm a pantry Cook and Cook from scratch, my husband and I do go out to eat on the occasion and we can't as a way of getting away and it doesn't cost a lot of money to go camping so that's our getaway., we grocery shop once a month and I know what quantity of certain items to buy to last throughout the month. We keep an emergency fund and are checking and savings account for emergency situations that may arise such as medical or household repairs or car repairs. We are enjoying life as being retired

A piggy bank on top of many dollar bills.
Stretching Your Retirement Dollars
Budget & Finance RetirementDecember 5, 2016
Cleaning Plastic Cutting Boards
Cleaning Plastic Cutting Boards
Retirement Gift Ideas
Retirement Gift Ideas
Retirement Party Ideas
Retirement Party Ideas
Finding a Good Retirement Community, Houses in a retirement community.
Finding a Good Retirement Community
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 21, 2017 at 8:03:01 PM on 10.0.2.252 in 3 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.