Damaged Hair Remedies

I had gone without a perm for 6 months. I went to the hairdresser I was using and she wanted to lighten my hair for the summer months. My natural hair is sandy red hair.

I've been dying my hair black for years now. Well, she put something on my hair to lift the black color off. She did this about 2 or 3 times. Then she bleached it and I didn't know she used bleach. Well, my hair was orange and I didn't like it; this was a Friday that she did this and on Monday I asked if she can darken it back black.

2 weeks later I was calling to see if it was perm time because my hair was unmanageable, she never responded so I let another stylist perm my hair. The perm didn't burn and I was shocked, but as soon as she started washing my hair it was coming out by the handfuls. It's been 6 weeks now and my hair is stringy around the edges. It broke off to the root through the middle and pretty much all around. If I cut my hair I'll be in a fro and I don't want this.

What do you suggest I do and how long should I expect my hair to grow back? It looks awful it's thin all over. I only have a few strands to slick it up in a bun. My sister suggested that I use this Alpha g treatment on it. Please help. I don't know what to do.

By Yoshi

Best Answer

Hair grows at the rate of half an inch a month. There's a limit to how much dyeing and perming hair can stand and it looks like you've reached it.

To grow healthy hair you need a healthy diet including vegetables, protein and good oils like nuts, seeds, avocado, tuna and salmon.

You can try moisturizing your hair with liquid vegetable oil or mayonnaise. It sounds very damaged, you may have to cut the ends off eventually.

Best Answer

I suggest not doing any type of chemical treatment to your hair for a long time, preferably never again. If you want to dye it again, try using Henna as it is not only cheaper but not damaging to your hair.

Also, to repair the damage you have now, buy some coconut oil at a health food store, use about 1-2 tbsp on dry hair (comb it through), wrap it with a plastic bag, then a towel and leave it overnight. In the morning, wash your hair at least twice to get the oil out and condition lightly.

You may have to do this treatment once a month (maybe every two weeks). If you have fine hair, once a month would work. Also, do not wash your hair every day. Washing only once a week keeps the natural oils of your hair and it will restore it faster. Start by washing every second day, then after awhile work up to once a week. I've been washing my hair once a week now for 15 years!

Good luck :)