Dark Colored Towels Bled on Light Colored Towels

I washed a white towel with a green one in hot water. The greed dye has run. I have kept the old white towel (now light green) wet. What is the best solution to get it back to white?

Gofindsimon from New Zealand

Answers:

In Canada there is a colour remover used before re-dying a garment. I think the brand is 'Tintex'. If the towel is white, you could just use bleach. Another way is to re-wash with lots of detergent. I was in the dry cleaning/laundry business for over 30 years, and all of these remedies worked. I would probably just pre-soak in bleach and hot water - then wash as usual. (01/17/2006)

By PoPo

I had the same problem and found the answer. I live in the USA and am not sure you can find this product in your region or online (I didn't do a search), but it's made by Rit (Fabric Treatment), called White-Wash. You simply put the stained garment into the hottest wash cycle possible for that fabric, use detergent as you would to wash it, and open the packet of WHITE WASH by Rit and slowly pour into the washing machine. Be aware to NOT breathe the dust or fumes that may emit as you pour it. It is safe for white fabrics which cannot be bleached that can be washed in hot water, and it is wonderful. (01/17/2006)

By Rita

If the towel is white, simply soak it in soapy bleach water. It should come out. (01/17/2006)

By hvnlyhills

A long while ago a woman gave me this hint to remove lipstick from white uniforms that had gone through the dryer. Worked like a charm. Fill a bucket with the hottest water possible. Then add powdered automatic dishwasher detergent (cheapest is just as good). Swish around. Let stand until it gets cool enough to immerse your hands for a few minutes. Then wash as usual. I hope this works. It worked on the uniforms. (01/17/2006)

By darlene

Get Ridix or Ridex (not sure of the spelling) they are mainly dyes, but they sell a dye remover that is wonderful. Around here all the grocery stores sell them. It has even removed dye from a sheet that was dried, after I had something washed with a red bath mat run in the washer. I used the stove top method on the box and it worked wonders. Good luck. (01/18/2006)

By cyclendogs