Dealing With Oily Skin

I have really oily skin and all related problems like opened pores and pimples. No matter how many times I wash my face I can't keep it from being oily. I don't put on makeup very much. I want to use some homemade remedies if possible. Can you suggest any?

By Couponalbum from CA

Answers:

Dealing With Oily Skin

Wash skin with Cetaphil cleanser, or comparable generic. It is very gentle and non-drying. Then wipe a thin layer of plain Milk of Magnesia onto your face, and allow to dry. It sounds gross, but the store brands are cheap, MOM is cheap, lasts a long time, and dries up oiliness well. Then wipe it off with a cool wet wash cloth. Cover breakouts with thin layer of benzoyl peroxide pimple cream, or salicyclic acid cream. Leave on overnite. Don't put the cream on anywhere that you don't have blemishes. Whenever you feel like you need a toner, use plain witch hazel. Apply with a cotton ball or pad, and let dry. You can even make some to take along - soak some cotton balls or pads in witch hazel, then seal up in a clean baby food jar sized jar.

This is a lot cheaper than regular acne pads, and not as harsh on the skin. Then at night, you can apply Cetaphil lotion (or comparable store brand) to face, or just to any areas that seem to be getting too dry, such as around eyes, lips, and neck. It won't cure it, but will help some, and all of these are fairly inexpensive, if you get the store brands. And please never squeeze pimples, this can lead to tunneling under the skin, and spread of a bad infection. My mother also used to put a few drops of witch hazel on a plain adult aspirin, wait for it to melt, then dab that on the pimples at bedtime. (04/26/2009)

By fatboyslimsmom

Dealing With Oily Skin

Fatboyslimsmom is definitely right about not scrubbing with anything too harsh. Sometimes overcleansing can lead to increased oil production, so try to be gentle with your skin. Use chemical exfoliants like lactic acid (found in milk), glycolic acid, and salicylic acid. Also, using a moisture absorbing primer like Lancome's Pure Focus powder gel for t-zones under makeup helps sop up oil. (05/06/2009)

By mollyring

Dealing With Oily Skin

I have the same issues and have found some cheap things that have worked great. I use the Cetaphil soap that kills bacteria with out dying the skin (which as others have mentioned makes your skin produce more oil). Then I use witch hazel as a toner and spot treat acne with tea tree oil. The tea tree oil is great, because it is all natural and works well. You can get it at Walmart. I use Biore Pore Minimizing Oil Free Moisturizer. It doesn't clog pores and helps soak up oil. I also really love Queen Helene Mint Julep Facial Mask. It has sulfur in it that acts like a pore purger. Wonderfully clean feeling. Hope I helped. I know how frustrating it is to combat the oil. (05/14/2009)

By glittergirlajj

Dealing With Oily Skin

I have this problem as well. I recently started making my own oatmeal/honey mask and it is great for oily skin. I don't ever wear makeup and the day I did this my husband looked at me and said "Are you wearing makeup?"

Its just 1/2 c. ground oatmeal which I did in my blender, 1/4 c. water, and 1 tsp honey. Gentle, cheap and works.

(05/15/2009)

By MamaChamp

Closeup of Facial Pores and Oily Skin
Remedies for Oily Skin
Dealing With Sensitive Skin
Dealing With Sensitive Skin
bandaid covering a skin tag
Remedies for Skin Tags
A woman cleaning her face with skin toner.
Homemade Skin Toner
Poison ivy growing up a tree trunk.
Getting Rid of Poison Ivy Plants
🎄