Browsing: Dealing With Stray Cats

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Dealing With Stray Cats

Some neighborhoods have many stray cats wreaking minor havoc in trash, gardens, etc. There are ways to resolve this issue and perhaps help the cats as well. This is a guide about dealing with stray cats.

Dealing With Stray Cats
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

April 21, 2016 Flag

A female mother cat has just delivered 3 baby kittens and the mother cat is keeping the kittens in the store room of my house! I dare not touch the kittens; am afraid the mother will attack me. Please help!

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Are you afraid the mother will attack you because it has shown aggression, or just because it is not your cat. If she has chosen to have her kittens so close to humans, my best guess is that she is not wild. You have options. You could call a rescue to come and get her. If you call the pound, she and the kittens will likely be euthanized. (I wouldn't pick that option, but I am a cat lover.) You could try to tame her by putting food and water out for her. If she is tame enough to eat when you are sitting quietly nearby, she may let eventually come to you and let you pet her, and then you can tame the kittens as well. If you have no experience with cats at all, surely you have a friend who does, and who can come over and see if the cat is friendly or not. You can also take a photo of her and post on lost & found pets or on bulletin boards. This might be someone's cat, as mother cats often have strange ideas about where to have their kittens.

I do not know why cat owners feel it is ok to let their cats out to destroy people's property. My neighbor has 5 cats and they continually come in my yard and poop! Our neighbor has a cat problem. We have leash policies that are only for dogs! I have tried every plant, traps and have talked to them and they continue to say it isn't their cats. I have two traps and have caught them, bring them to the SPCA, they go and pick them up and it is a vicious circle. Don't waist your money on plants, or sprays they do not work! I am at a point that I going to start shooting them with a paint gun!

Read More Answers...

August 24, 2009 Flag

I am trying to help some stray kittens. One has pus in its eyes, runny eyes. One is blind. They are wild kittens. I have tried a lot of different medications. Is there something I can make at home to use? Meds are very costly when wild cats just keep coming.

We do not have a no kill shelter in Fontana or one that will take them. I am caring for 50+ cats, none of whom are house cats. The cost for food has wiped me out. If anyone knows of someone to help with food it would be of great help. Thank you for your help.

By Double D

I am right there with you. I had about maybe 25 at one time. I learned of TNR < Trap Nurture and release > It does work. After the males were fixed, which I only paid 40.00 total to have about 10 males fixed, I found 99 % of them homes. People want cats that are all ready fixed or kittens. I have 3 outside left to find homes for.. Hang in there , it does work out, please contact your local SPCA and ask about TNR. They worked out a deal with me for 40.00 for 10 it is usually about 30.00 per male cat. Aas far as food Freecycle.org is an awesome place to start people are kind on there and will help. Good luck and keep us posted.

Michelle in PA

Dear Michelle ,You are a good person for caring this much for animals that can really be a problem sometimes when they all start breeding in the neighborhood. I have this problem but no one in my neighborhood cares for any animal. They just feed them and let them roam around with no shelter but a few abandon houses around where they stay. its horrible and I don't know what to do about it . asi m a widow and have no financial resourses to care for them. The males were all gathered under my car the other night there were 6 of them to one female and they have left a very bad odor near my apt door and under and in my parked vehicle. im exhausted.

Read More Answers...

December 21, 2015 Flag

I have been feeding a cat, that was wandering the neighborhood, for about five months. At first it was very skittish and wouldn't get near me. About three months ago he became injured in a fight. He had a bite mark on his neck and a torn ear. He became very friendly and started letting me pet him. He was doing fine, but about a week ago, I noticed his voice was getting weaker until he couldn't be vocal.

Yesterday I noticed he wouldn't sleep inside the shelter I made him even in 30 degree weather. This morning I put some food out and noticed he didn't eat it. He just wants to sleep. I don't have money to trap him and take him to a vet, would anyone have suggestions as to how I can help him? I'd hate to call animal control, but think it's my only option. Please offer suggestions.

Your furry friend definitely has a problem and it is clear that he is not improving. You have two choices, immediately take him to a vet for a diagnosis and, hopefully, improvement, or animal control. Letting him continue to suffer is unkind and animal control most probably means death, so please try to find a way to help him now.

It sounds like your friend has reached the end. It is unfortunate that this happens quickly to strays.

You may be able to wait until he is too cold and tired to fight you any more and wrap him in a towel or blanket. Bring him indoors to have a warm place for his last day or two.

Assuming he actually revives, you will have to find a way to get him veterinary care then. However, this is unlikely.

March 12, 2014 Flag

Help! These stray cats are peeing at my front door, patio, and lawn. How can I get them to stop and go away? The neighbor across street feeds them and they seem to come on my side of street and do there business and lay on patio and steps. I have allergies. What can I do to get them to stop?

By Anne

The cayenne pepper is very cruel to the cats. There are various cat repellants for sale, but I would certainly try the citrus (orange or lemon, either is supposed to work) first. When I had stray cats spraying the front of my house in the winter when it was too cold (-30 C) to go out and wash off the scent, I splashed the spots full strength with lemon scented Mr. Clean, and that seemed to discourage them. You might try that on the house and fence and see if it will work for you. Please do not use things that will harm the cats, especially since your neighbour is so kind to them. I think the placing of unlit citronella tealights around is certainly worth a try as well.

Ask the animal shelter in your area for traps. Lure the cats in with cat food and then take them to the shelter. Stray animals spread disease. Your neighbor is aggravating the problem by feeding them. Feeding is easy. Is she willing to adopt them and take them to a vet for the necessary inoculations and care? Is she willing to buy litter boxes and keep the cats in her home? Probably not. Perhaps, you could try telling her about your allergy. If she really is kind maybe she will put the humans in the neighborhood first and stop luring cats to your property.

Read More Answers...

December 7, 2014 Flag

Mom has an indoor/outdoor cat. Recently a hungry stray has been hanging around and we have left food out for him. Now, he comes by all the time and that would be OK, but he started to attack mom's cat when she's outside. She won't go out when she sees that he is out there. Should I stop feeding him so he goes back across the street where I think he came from?
He is huge and eats twice as much as mom's cat! We were not prepared for this stray taking over our lives and bullying our own cat, that can't go on. Any ideas?

By Terry O.

First of all, don't feed strays. Everybody thinks you should because you're cruel if you don't. But as you can see he is big, so plenty of other people are feeding him. You should not feed cats unless you intend them hanging around all the time. You already have a female so it wasn't a good idea.

But now you know better. Unfortunately, just not feeding him anymore will not solve the problem. He now considers your house and yard part of his territory, and will come around to scent mark it and look for other animals such as the female.

He's not being a jerk, it's just animal psychology that you didn't understand when you started to feed him. But he owns the place now and the female is on "his" property. You will have to chase him away every time you see him from now on. It may seem mean, but you started it.

In the future, defend your female cat and her property. After all, you wouldn't like it if your mom invited a stranger over with a promise of a meal and a date with her daughter! Don't feel surprised that the girl cat is feeling totally creeped out.

Great advice from Abigail. She is spot on. One thing you can try to make the intruder feel less comfortable is to use a squirt gun or a squirt bottle with a strong stream. It won't hurt the cat but they do hate being squirted. He will quickly feel less welcome on your property. If the cat is truly a stray and really needs feeding you can get a local cat rescue group to trap him and find him a home. Good luck.

April 23, 2006 Flag

Thank you for any response first of all. I live in a condo. A stray cat has found her way here. I am highly allergic and so therefore have never been able to appreciate cats. But this little one is so sweet. She really likes me. All the cat people that have come say they want her until she meets them and she GROWLS. Her back goes up and she is not happy. Then she wraps herself around my legs. I have contacted all the shelters in my area and everyone is full. The SPCA is pretty far for me to go after work, I may not even make it there. Any suggestions would be appreciated. I have listed her in the local newspapers and on craigslist and nothing.

Sandy from Baltimore, MD

Please let us know when you have found a home for her/him?!

No answer for you. I have 12 strays that I can't fine a home for them. Don't know what to do.

Read More Answers...

July 30, 2008 Flag

I have too many cats and don't know what to do. I have one inside female kitten who's been spayed, she's no problem. I have two female and one male indoor/outdoor cats who have also been neutered, they're no problem (although one doesn't get along with the others).

November 7, 2013 Flag

I let my cat out for her daily wander, but she keeps getting bullied by other cats. They are coming almost to our door. She is desexed. What can I do?

Load More
Home and Garden Pest Control CatsOctober 10, 2012
A large cat hissing.
Dealing With Cats That Don't Get Along
Girl looking at a pregnancy test.
Dealing With an Unexpected Pregnancy
Stray cat in a doorway.
Feeding Stray Cats
Cats in the Attic
Cats in the Attic
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on August 21, 2016 at 9:03:43 PM on 10.0.0.77 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.