Dealing With Stray Cats

Some neighborhoods have many stray cats wreaking minor havoc in trash, gardens, etc. There are ways to resolve this issue and perhaps help the cats as well. This is a guide about dealing with stray cats.

November 21, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about finding homes for stray cats. Stray kitties would benefit greatly from being given a loving home.

A family of cats on the street.

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

July 20, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about repelling neighborhood cats. Neighborhood cats can quickly become a nuisance, when they decide that your yard and gardens are their personal toilet.

Orange tabby kitten in grass and flowers

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

August 24, 2009 Flag

I am trying to help some stray kittens. One has pus in its eyes, runny eyes. One is blind. They are wild kittens. I have tried a lot of different medications. Is there something I can make at home to use? Meds are very costly when wild cats just keep coming.

We do not have a no kill shelter in Fontana or one that will take them. I am caring for 50+ cats, none of whom are house cats. The cost for food has wiped me out. If anyone knows of someone to help with food it would be of great help. Thank you for your help.

By Double D

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Please contact your local SPCA or Humane Society. Most have a capture and release, spay/neuter program for this type of feral colony. I understand that you are a humanitarian but as other posters have mentioned all you are doing is harm to these cats as they continue to multiply. If you are on a limited income please, please, place yourelf ahead of the cats and check out resources in your community that can and will assist you. I too rescued a feral who had just had a litter and brought all of them from NJ down to FL, spaying the mom and neutering the kittens - my way of not contributing to further feral colonies (tho all of the kittens were adopted). Good luck with your quest and I hope your community can help you.

About the kitten with pus in the eyes. This is a little time consuming because you have to do it three or four times a day, but I've "cured" many many kitty eyes in my day with this:

pour boiling water into a cup that has in it a Chamomile teabag in it. (just plain chamomile!)

Let it cool to just warm and use a soft cloth dipped into the tea to wash the kitten's eyes.

I would try to find a good home for the blind one. As for feeding the cats, while table scraps are the best, it'll help...

I also agree with asking for cat foods on Freecycle.org.

Also, please, please, please take what Rchinaberr has to say to heart. May you be blessed for your kindnesses!

I am right there with you. I had about maybe 25 at one time. I learned of TNR < Trap Nurture and release > It does work. After the males were fixed, which I only paid 40.00 total to have about 10 males fixed, I found 99 % of them homes. People want cats that are all ready fixed or kittens. I have 3 outside left to find homes for.. Hang in there , it does work out, please contact your local SPCA and ask about TNR. They worked out a deal with me for 40.00 for 10 it is usually about 30.00 per male cat. Aas far as food Freecycle.org is an awesome place to start people are kind on there and will help. Good luck and keep us posted.

Michelle in PA

Dear Michelle ,You are a good person for caring this much for animals that can really be a problem sometimes when they all start breeding in the neighborhood. I have this problem but no one in my neighborhood cares for any animal. They just feed them and let them roam around with no shelter but a few abandon houses around where they stay. its horrible and I don't know what to do about it . asi m a widow and have no financial resourses to care for them. The males were all gathered under my car the other night there were 6 of them to one female and they have left a very bad odor near my apt door and under and in my parked vehicle. im exhausted.

Read More Answers...

July 30, 2008 Flag

I have too many cats and don't know what to do. I have one inside female kitten who's been spayed, she's no problem. I have two female and one male indoor/outdoor cats who have also been neutered, they're no problem (although one doesn't get along with the others).

However, There are two outside male strays, presumably unneutered, although one has a flea collar on so someone owns him and may have had him neutered; two female strays unspayed, one with 2 kittens (male and female) unneutered. The outdoor females and kittens are not friendly enough to get near, they run whenever we go outside, but will eat food we put out for them.

My question is, if I can't get near them how do I get them neutered? If I don't get it done, we'll be absolutely overrun with cats and I know it has to stop before that happens. What do I do? Can someone please help?

Bonnie from Tuckerton, NJ,

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Oh-Oh.. Do I know this problem! Some years ago we lived in a house that was near a large complex of units for the elderly. It had extensive lawns and gardens, and people used to just dump cats/ kittens there. I had 2 cats of my own, and eventually these dumped cats would wander to my place and hang around, at one stage there were nineteen cats/ Kittens!

Call your local Cat Protection society if you have one, or the equivalent -animal control-- and explain the problem. They brought wire cat traps to my place, and eventually all the strays were caught. I will add it was a process that upset me, but it had to be done.

I'm now in a different area, in a second floor apartment.. and have 2 cats, one male, one female, they are both spayed/neutered, and have collars and council registration tags. Good Luck!

Just stop feeding them and they will go somewhere else to get food. As long as you feed them, they will stay.

Some of your local veterinarians might also have programs to trap, neuter, and release feral cats. They do in my area and I am sure we are not unique!

I had the same problem and was able to solve it and get it under control, although I never thought I would. Cats would multiply in my neighbor's shed. The kittens are endearing and we fell in love with 2 & adopted them. Two turned into 9 adopted for indoors all spayed & neutered but I decided enough, and I contacted someone who told me to trap & neuter the remaining outdoor ones.

Trapping with the specific cage didn't work for me so I used my own cat carrier. I waited till one was good n hungry, soon as they poked the head in, I gave them a little shove in & closed the cage door. I tried to be careful that the others wouldn't notice or it might be harder to trap them. I had appointments with my local low-cost spay/neuter clinic & took 2 at a time in separate carriers every 2 weeks. I cared for them the required 2 weeks for recovery and back out they went.

I did 12 cats like that. I feed them and care for them. I went online to learn how to make individual shelters for each cat, made of storage totes, reflective insulation & straw to keep them warm & dry in our cold NJ Winters. I lined my whole back porch with the 7 shelters. You can do it. It takes effort but its very rewarding. All the best to you.

Read More Answers...

December 7, 2014 Flag

Mom has an indoor/outdoor cat. Recently a hungry stray has been hanging around and we have left food out for him. Now, he comes by all the time and that would be OK, but he started to attack mom's cat when she's outside. She won't go out when she sees that he is out there. Should I stop feeding him so he goes back across the street where I think he came from?
He is huge and eats twice as much as mom's cat! We were not prepared for this stray taking over our lives and bullying our own cat, that can't go on. Any ideas?

By Terry O.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

First of all, don't feed strays. Everybody thinks you should because you're cruel if you don't. But as you can see he is big, so plenty of other people are feeding him. You should not feed cats unless you intend them hanging around all the time. You already have a female so it wasn't a good idea.

But now you know better. Unfortunately, just not feeding him anymore will not solve the problem. He now considers your house and yard part of his territory, and will come around to scent mark it and look for other animals such as the female.

He's not being a jerk, it's just animal psychology that you didn't understand when you started to feed him. But he owns the place now and the female is on "his" property. You will have to chase him away every time you see him from now on. It may seem mean, but you started it.

In the future, defend your female cat and her property. After all, you wouldn't like it if your mom invited a stranger over with a promise of a meal and a date with her daughter! Don't feel surprised that the girl cat is feeling totally creeped out.

Great advice from Abigail. She is spot on. One thing you can try to make the intruder feel less comfortable is to use a squirt gun or a squirt bottle with a strong stream. It won't hurt the cat but they do hate being squirted. He will quickly feel less welcome on your property. If the cat is truly a stray and really needs feeding you can get a local cat rescue group to trap him and find him a home. Good luck.

November 7, 2013 Flag

I let my cat out for her daily wander, but she keeps getting bullied by other cats. They are coming almost to our door. She is desexed. What can I do?

By Sharon V.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

She needs a cat run to keep her from getting hurt.

November 22, 2013 Flag

I have a bad cat problem in the town I live in and just discovered there are some living under my trailer. They are peeing, pooping, and spraying under there. I would block it off, but I have like 5 feet of snow and ice all around my trailer. They are also spraying my back door and all of these smells are starting to come in. Any ideas on how to stop it all would be so nice. Thank you in advance.

By Kala S.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

If you own a female cat who lives in your trailer, get her spayed. Male cats can smell the fermones she gives off, even if she never goes outside. Clear out the space under your trailer and give it a good cleaning. Spray everything down with an enzymatic cleaner to get rid of the smell or the cats will come back. Moth Balls under the trailer might help discourage them from coming back.

Since it is winter, you can't do a cleaning out from under your home. If your trailer is skirted, (which I assume it is, otherwise how do you keep your plumbing from freezing), you should be able to figure out how the cats are getting in, and pile up snow and ice in those spaces, blocking off the way the cats get in. They are using the space as a litter box because they have good digging under there.

Do make sure that there are not cats under the trailer when you block off the entrances, easier said than done, as I once had to do this, and we trapped a cat under there, who was hurt. He was a walking skeleton when we discovered him, and we had to have him put to sleep. Anyway, that should keep the cats out in the winter, if they can't get in.

I found that splashing a very generous amount of lemon scented Mr. Clean over the spots where tom cats were spraying covered up the smell (which you can't wash off very well when it is -40F), and discouraged them from spraying there. They do not seem to like the lemon smell, and it is not an unpleasant smell for people. Absolutely do not toss a bunch of moth balls around. That smell is as bad, if not worse, than the cat pee smell, and besides that is poisonous to everyone, you and the cats. I've tried it, and it is totally disgusting, and I don't think it works anyway.

I have found that a cat repellent that I purchased at a hardware or garden supply store worked quite well to keep cats off of sections of the lawn, but it has to be replaced every time it rained. It might work okay under a trailer. However, you also have to be careful about the smell of such things, as sometimes it is just as bad as the cat smell!

November 2, 2014 Flag

We have a year old spayed cat. She is an indoor cat at night. We've been finding lately that when we air our house out, we've got stray ginger cats coming in. They are spraying through our house, eating our cat's food. They're also fighting with our neighbor's cat, and we've all had enough.

By Sue H.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Can you put screens on your windows. I did when a few bats flew into my bedroom one night to say hi.

May 1, 2000 Flag

How can I keep stray cats out of my garden?

Gina from Philadelphia, PA

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Are there any natural detterents for cats - mine is digging up rug in places (near doors) and the store bought kind does not work.

Thanks

Use mothball in cotton wraps.

I'm having almost the same problem, stray cats have converted the door of my flat into a litter box, i've tried spraying water on the floor and onion peels, bt it does not help at all now it has become a favorite spot of stray cats to litter here, I even want to poison them bt any thing less then it is also welcome?

We have 3 cats. Sam 13 is fine we have two other Birman male and female all neutered. We have just moved into our first home and a stray cat is coming in every night and peeing on the couches and also on the bench tops.

How do we stop this? I'm pregnant and worried about when the baby comes This stray tries to get in their room. We haven't been able to catch it and it comes in through the cat door please help

Read More Answers...

November 19, 2009 Flag

My son and daughter-in-law just purchased a house and the cats around their house seem to think that it is their own litter box. Is there something that can be put out to repel them, without harming them.

By Jerry from Greenwood, DE

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This link supplies helpful ideas to discourage cats from urinating in yard.

http://parents.berkeley.edu/advice/pets/catpoop.html

Put moth balls all round the yard or spray it with water & pine oil or sprinkle hot pepper sauce all round it, good luck.

NO hot pepper sauce! It burns their eyes so badly that they will actually scratch their eyes out to get rid of the pain. They don't like the smell of citrus.. So save your citrus peels, chop them up and scatter them around, or spray something citrus on your fence, if you have one.

No moth balls either! They are highly toxic to all animals, humans of any age and the environment (especially if anything edible grows in the yard). They are meant to be used 'only in a closed storage area' for clothing'! They can also cause respiratory problems!

Anything citrus will help greatly to repel the cats but needs to be refreshed after a short time or after rain or snow. Over time the cats simply won't bother entering the yard anymore so placing or spraying the citrus won't need to be done forever ;-)

Read More Answers...

February 15, 2005 Flag

I have 4 stray cats that hang out on my back porch. I have a male neutered cat inside. Apparently, one of the strays is also a male (unneutered) and he has been spraying my house--gross! I have a 2 year old and I don't want him to go out and play when this cat sprays. Does anyone have any suggestions on how to get this stray cat to stop spraying or to get him to leave? Help please! melissa in wv

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Load More
Home and Garden Pest Control CatsOctober 10, 2012
A large cat hissing.
Dealing With Cats That Don't Get Along
Girl looking at a pregnancy test.
Dealing With an Unexpected Pregnancy
Stray cat in a doorway.
Feeding Stray Cats
Cats in the Attic
Cats in the Attic
🎉
🎄