Dealing With a Sibling's Friends

I am 13 years old and I need some advise on how to deal with daily unannounced visits by my younger sister's friend. It's summer vacation and both our parents are at work. My sister's friend visits us every day from 1 pm to 5 pm and sometimes it's very annoying and sometimes I don't want her company. It's very annoying having to lock myself in my room to get away from a bunch of screaming 4th graders. Now you might say I'm overreacting and it's not a big deal, but every day is just too much.

Have you discussed this problem with your parents? This situation is unacceptable and it is extremely important that you tell them what you have explained here!

It is your parents' responsibility to immediately contact the parents of your sister's friend to curtail her activities at your house. They can decide either to not allow any visiting or allow specific visits with clearly defined requirements and conditions.

There is no way any 4th graders should be visiting your house when your parents aren't home. It's okay to look after your own sister, but what if something bad happened to the other girl? If she gets hurt or sick at your house, your parents are responsible even if they aren't there. It's possible that the girls will talk each other into doing something dumb or dangerous while you're in charge and then everyone will be upset.

Tell your parents you're okay babysitting your sister but you don't feel comfortable with a another child being there when they're not home. Tell them you want them to call the other girl's parents and explain this to her. If they don't see that this is a problem, you might have to be the grown-up here and make that phone call yourself. It's possible the girl has been lying to her parents and telling them your parents are home when they're really not.

I agree with Dinah..You should try to talk to your parents about it and let them handle it.But if for some reason you can not go to your parents about this problem ,then I would say ,"Well,you are in charge actually" .."you are the oldest so make the rules yourself".Tell your sisters friend that she cant just come over all the time ,tell her that she can come play once in awhile but that if they start being loud and rowdy then she has to go..You do not owe her a explanation and tell her that if she doesn't listen, that you are going to tell your parents..Be nice about how you say it ,having boundaries is very important ..Its your house ,your life ...Be strong ...

Is there any reason that your sister could not visit her friend at her friend's house? If they are such good friends that they want to spend every day together, perhaps half the time could be at her house. This might be a good compromise.