Decluttering Tips

I am going to be single if I do not attend to clutter that I've accumulated. But to me, it's a mess not a throw-away kind of clutter. Can you give me ideas, like where to start? I have accumulated many 5 gallon buckets for tool carriers and this season's container garden. All wrenches, hammers, paint brushes in their own bucket?

Should I pick a room that I need to conquer? Or pick a singular flat surface I would like to see again? I want tried and true suggestions, not a link please. The tough part is that I will be without help. So I've got to start somewhere. Please let me know how to declutter my workbench, which is what my entire house has turned into. Thank you, and my family thanks you, big time.

Jane from Baltimore, MD

Answers:

Decluttering Tips

One of the posts mentioned giving magazines to the library. DH and I also started taking books to the library. Our branch library sells books and uses the money for the coffee break supplies. In my own decluttering situation I have tried to keep small containers for my stuff and put things away immediately after use. (03/04/2009)

By MartyD

Decluttering Tips

I would use a peg board to store most tools. Tools that can't be stored on pegs can be placed in a tool box. If you can't afford a new tool box. Pick up an old dresser from a garage sale or thrift store and use that for your tools. (03/04/2009)

By crunchberry

Decluttering Tips

It sounds like you should pick one room at a time. Clean some floor space and get some empty boxes (can be found behind most stores) and sort. You can label your boxes according to what room it should be in or like items. Also, if you intend to have a yard sale or donate, label boxes for those type of items as well. As for papers, if you are quick read. Toss the trash fast. If not, put them in one box and go through them last. Then label boxes for the papers:trash, file, pictures, coupons, recipes, taxes, anything that you need to keep and organize.

Once it has been sorted, you'll be great and go ahead and start another room and repeat. You should find as you go about your day. You will find things out of place and sort them accordingly. Then you can clean and put things where they belong. Love the peg board for tools. Don't stress, you'll be fine.

(03/04/2009)

By kghsave

Decluttering Tips

I can't tell if you're completely serious about being single or not, but if so I think you need to take drastic action. Start by asking yourself why the things you're accumulating are so important to you that you would let them threaten a relationship with a loved one.

There are many excellent tips here as to the most thrifty or frugal ways to dispose of things, but if you're in an emergency situation, I suggest you simply start throwing out things, everything that's not of major monetary value or that you don't see a use for in the next six months or so.

I've been told that setting a timer and working for 15 minutes a day will eventually get the job done. I would start in the area of the home that's most troubling to your spouse, and work out from there. (03/05/2009)

By ChloeA

Decluttering Tips

There is one important thing I have learned: I will never live long enough to do all the projects I have collected stuff for. So consider saving only the stuff that is in your favorite field. It pares down the choices. (03/05/2009)

By coreenhart

How to Declutter Your Life
How to Declutter Your Life
A bedroom dresser that is cluttered and disorganized.
Name Ideas for a Decluttering Business
Porcelain Doll
Selling a Porcelain Doll Collection
🎉
🎄