Decorating Tote Bags

Category Miscellaneous
Recycle Tote Bag
Canvas or plastic tote bags can be personalized with decoration for yourself or someone special as a gift. This is a guide about decorating tote bags.

Remember Earth Day is April 22. Let kids decorate a canvas tote to use when shopping to help keep the bags out of our landfill. We need to teach our kids to Reuse, Recycle and Reduce!

Approximate Time: less than 30 minutes

Instructions:

1. Slide a piece of cardboard inside the tote.

2. Draw an earth design outline on the tote with a pen.

3. Paint it using the green and blue paint.

4. Let dry before removing the cardboard.

5. Glue on foam letters.

By Rachel's Mom from Wilkesboro, NC

It's spring and my friends all seem to be having babies! I've always had a special place in my heart for the "Big sister/brother" and tried to find a good 'gift' for them as well so they don't feel left out. I found it! I bought small solid colored canvas bags at my local craft store for under $2 each (less with a coupon/on sale) and used washable paint pens ($5 for a good set I can use over and over) to decorate the bags with the child's name or initials (if you're leery about putting a child's name on something for stranger danger).

I print the name (or big sis) on the computer and use a pencil to transfer it to the bag (so it's neat and centered). They also have all kinds of fancy iron ons available. I drew flowers on one, a bear on another. They've been a hit and so cheap! It's been a great way to provide a personalized 'big sister/brother' gift along with the new baby present without breaking the bank.

By Dana