Decorating Wood Furniture

Category Furniture
Painting a wood chair.
Update older worn furniture or new plain pieces using a variety of methods, such as painting, stenciling, decoupage, and more. This is a guide about decorating wood furniture.

I wanted a subtle pattern on the table that I painted and then thought of the idea that I used quite some time ago on a trunk. First I primed and painted the table a soft green and let it dry. Then I bought some lace with a large pattern and laid it over the top. I sprayed in a very soft gray. I also did the drawers. This matches very nicely with other things in my bedroom but, if you wanted to, you could make the contrast more extreme and it would also look good. I then put a coat of water based polyurethane on it.

By Elaine from IA

I am always looking for a deal. A local craft store had a 50% coupon and I grabbed a stool half off. I stained, Hubby sealed and our son put on stickers on this step for our grandson/nephew. For $6.00 this turned out wonderful and fun to do with love. Our grandson will love this step as he get older.

By Sally M from Buffalo

Does anyone know how to make furniture similar to the piece pictured? I would like to make one as a gift for a friend's birthday. Thank you.

By Mar Apl from Greece

You need to measure it all over, the width, sides & the drawers & how tall it is, then get the kind of wood you want to build it with, good luck.

Do you mean make the whole chest/piece of furniture, or do you wish to decorate it in this fashion?

The style is French and it involves crackle glaze, pictures cut from magazines and stencilling, used with a pastel paint it can be very effective. Hope this helps.

This looks like something my 25 yr old daughter would want in her apartment. I think you could achieve the look with some wallpaper. Taking off all the knobs, I would start with a light sanding. Using wallpaper paste will stay longer than prepasted.You can also purchase a spray glue if you want instead of the paste. If not, I think there are some mural stores on Etsy. You'll have to show us the results! (Check out this on I saw on the net too!)