Decorating a Bathroom

Category Bathroom
Bathroom Decorations
When decorating your home don't forget the bathroom. There are many ways to to add your personal touch here too. This is a guide about decorating a bathroom.

My son and husband really enjoy building things with Lego - so I decided to redecorate our bathroom in Lego for them as a Christmas surprise.

The LEGO website had some embroidered bath towels at clearance prices, so I bought one for each family member. I found a set of twin sheets on ebay - the flat sheets will become the shower curtain, and the pillow cases will become the cafe-curtains for the window. We have a small shelving unit with baskets for our personal items, and I will make liners for those with the leftover sheet fabric. I will probably take a strip and put it on the end of a solid colored hand towel. I am using some yard-sale find blocks to build a box for our tissue box to go in, and if I can figure out the logistics, may also do the same for a toothbrush holder.

To make the shower curtain, I will take the flat sheet and spread it out over the top of my existing shower curtain to check the size. If it is too long, I will keep the "cuff" of the sheet as the bottom hem, and cut off at the top, folding it over 3 times to form a new hem. If it is too narrow, I can take fabric from the fitted sheet and sew it vertically to make a wider panel. I will mark button holes in the new top hem to line up with my existing curtain and then put the rings through the holes. I am hot gluing bricks to the outside of plain clear plastic rings.

I will post photos when we get it all together (and the bathroom is clean!)

I am redecorating a bathroom and am going with a French theme. I will be writing in calligraphy French phrases. Does anyone know of any cute/quaint phrases that I could paint on the walls? I haven't found any useful websites!

Jessica from Illinois

Anonymous

You could try the Google Translate page to translate some English phrases into French. http://www.google.com/translate/

For example, I translated "Brush your teeth" into "Brossez-vous les dents".

I usually like to translate the phrase back to English as well to make sure that the translation is using the right sense of the words. Translating this phrase back to English yields "You brush the teeth" which is probably okay.

If you are looking for literary quotes you might do better searching for specific authors like Moliere, Alexander Dumas, or Victor Hugo.

Anonymous

"un bain chaud agréable" means a pleasant hot bath

"les serviettes douces duveteuses" means fluffy soft towels

"savons parfumés" means fragrant soaps

"se brosser les dents" means brush your teeth

"toilette" means toilet

"transmettre le savon" means hand soap

"shampooing de cheveux" means hair shampoo

"douche relâchant" means relaxing shower

Maryanne, not far from Quebec!

http://www.teapotcottage.com

How about "WEE WEE"

http://www.tisc  rase_finder.html

this has catagories and will give you phrases.

cj in dallas

FreeTranslation.com-put in your own phrases and set the translator 'English-French'.

You could always call your local high school and ask to speak to the french teacher.

I have noticed that internet translations don't always come out correctly when using Spanish, so I would double check everything before applying to the wall.

Holly

Ferme la port, sil vous plait

Shut the door please

bless this toilet!""

Je pense donc je suis - I think therefore I am.

I have a bathroom sink with no cabinet underneath and I need to know how can I pretty it up.

By Deborah from Warren, OH

I am trying to decorate my guest powder room. It is kind of small with a pedestal sink, toilet and 1 towel bar. I am looking for a little floor cabinet or etagere, something simple, to store things in i.e. cleaning supplies, lotions, toilet paper, etc. Do you have any suggestions?

Onesummer

When we re-did our bathroom, we replaced the cabinet with a mach larger one with room for storage - but you could just put the cleaning supplies in a large decorative wasterpaper basket next to the sink. Or find a large basket with a lid.

We too have a small bathroom. What I did was get one of those wire shelves and put it high up (above my husbands head) on the wall and I keep a few towels & wash clothes neatly rolled up, and I keep one clear plastic container with cleaners, and one with the lotions & stuff. It's up and out of the way, but within reach.

What about the shelf stand that fits over the toilet? I have one that has one open shelf and two with sliding doors.

It might be possible to build a 3 or 4 sided shelving unit underneath the pedestal sink, out of laminated plywood. (Similiar to a hexagon shape, but the angles would form a half circular shape.) It could be a free standing unit so you would be able to move it if necessary. Then hang skirting around it that coordinates with your bathroom.

Any ideas on how to clean/remove spots and stains from very old floor linoleum? It is the style installed in the 20's-30's that covers the floor with a pattern. It also has dried paint splatters on it.

In our powder room, We put up a nice oak cabinet on the wall above the toilet. Usually you see them over the toilet but they could go on another wall. It is an almost perfect match to the oak vanity. It has two doors and shelves inside and then an open shelf area under the two doors. It is sort of like a medicine cabinet but deeper. I find it handy for keeping OTC medicines, extra rolls of TP and the like. You can even store something on the top of it. We found it at Home Depot and it was around $65. It looks really nice while being very useful too!

We have a Victorian bath that the previous owners removed the claw type feet and used bricks and cement to build two stands for the bath to rest on. The cement around the bricks is rough and needs to be decorated in some way. They have cemented the bath in quite securely else we would remove the bath, fit legs onto it and put it back. Any ideas of how we could decorate the cement to improve the look? Maybe cement river stones?

Susan from South Africa

In Victorian times some vintage baths had enclosures. Could you put one up around yours? Or could you put decorative plaster coloumns underneath to mask the brick, and paint the brick white? I like the idea of river stones - but you would have to have a LOT of them...

What about seashells? I really can't picture what your tub looks like but could you hide the cement with potted plants? Plants that thrive in damp places like baby's tears, maidenhair ferns, or African violets?

what about wrought iron decore. wrought iron comes in so many shapes and designs. Most of the time its black but I had a small spiral staircase once that was for potted plants that set on each step. I spray painted it white and used the steps to set candles on for my bathroom. You could search ebay just put in the key words wrought iron. You'll more than likely see lots os sizes & designs that might fit around your problem area to camoflauge it beautifully. And wrought iron goes with that victorion look so well. I also saw somewhere but can not remember where now.Where they took 8X10 picture frames with any type picture of pressed flowers inside them and incased 4 of them around an object to cover up the area and it looked so pretty. With that idea you could paint your frames white and inside add vintage items that are flat like gloves, lace doilies, old photos jewelry, or tickets to give it a shabby chic look. good luck

You could also use tile, if you have tile in your bathroom. If the cement is too small an area for tile, you could break the tile in pieces and cement them on in a mosaic style.

How about a cloth skirt around the tub, whole thing?

I want to decorate this bathroom with some kind of neutral or calm colors. The wall paint is called Ponytail which is in the richer beige shades and I'm not allowed to paint other color by landlords. I also have the same color walls in this master bedroom and turquoise/aqua color curtains. I am asking for any suggestions and ideas please?

I recently moved into a beautiful older style farm house. The downside is that the bathroom counter top and bathtub is lined with pink and red tile (including mustard yellow walls). How can I best compliment the bathroom decor without re-tiling?

By Mari

In my master bathroom, I have a green shower curtain with red poppies I want to know if it's OK to hang pictures of another flower? The colors coordinate!

By Debbie from Wind Lake, WI

I need to decorate a pathetic office bathroom at a creative studio. It has no windows and beige, ugly flooring.

By Irene

I just got a nickel finished space saver for the bathroom. How do I make it match if the shower door is gold?

By Jackie from Brentwood, NY

I was decorating my children's bathroom in tropical fish and when I tried to find some counter items to hold cotton balls and such I was less than impressed with the selection. Then I thought I would create some items so I went to my local Wal-mart and looked in the pet section for fish bowls.

The smallest was around 3 dollars. So I picked up 2 of them and while I was in the candle isle looking for a candle to go with the decor I noticed some glass bowls that looked the same as what I found in the pet aisle but at .77 cents vs. the $3.00 for the others.

I then bought some round glass beads found on the same candle aisle and hot glued them onto the bowls. so with a little imagination and luck I now have the perfect items for my bathroom, but at half the cost as it would have been.

By mommy3