Browsing: Decorating a Wedding Reception

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Decorating a Wedding Reception

Next to the ceremony itself, the wedding reception is the next most important event of the day. Decorating the space used for this post-ceremony celebration is an important part of the planning process. This is a guide about decorating a wedding reception.

Wedding Reception
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

June 24, 2016 Flag

My daughter's wedding reception will be in a church activity center that has exposed steel beams in the walls for a total of 6 - 8 beams. How can I disguise them? Thank you for your input/advice.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Instead of going through the expense and sorting through ideas to cover them up, why not focus on drawing people's eyes toward other, prettier things? Flowers, streamers, tables / decor?

That said, you could measure the heighth and length then visit a fabric shop to see if they have anything which fits in your budget and matches your colour scheme? Borrow a staple gun ....

August 8, 2012 Flag

I'm getting married in 8 weeks and my reception is at the VFW. That's all I can afford. I have 3 kids, plus my sisters 3 kids, plus another teenager so we're poor! lol I need something way inexpensive to cover the wall with the flags on them. Someone please help. I checked out all of the web sites and everything is way too expensive. Any ideas anyone? Please and thank you.

By Jennifer

Best Answer

You could try crepe paper streamers taped to the ceiling, twisted and taped to the floor - like we used to do for high school proms. Tape the streamers abutting each other so it looks like a solid wall of vertical twists in your wedding colors.

I agree with dusty--use sheets (you can use them later) or buy some tablecloths from the dollar store. If you can't afford that, just don't worry about it. People are coming to see the wedding and congratulate the two of you--they'll remember you and not the hall.

I just did a wedding for my nephew at a fire hall. I took material and cut (tore) into 2 inch wide strips and tied to a clothes line ad hung those from the ceiling for a flowing wall cover. I got the material from a fill a bag fabric outlet. I got 20 pieces for $2 a bag...had enough material for table cloths also. Then I made pom poms from tulle and hung from ceiling along with tissue paper pom poms and streamers. The tables had vases filled with fake greenery painted silver. It turned out beautiful. Everybody commented how gorgeous it looked.

Read More Answers...

April 27, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about decorating a barn for a wedding reception. With the right decorations an old barn can become a unique and charming venue for your wedding reception.

A barn decorated for a wedding reception.

Comment On This PostMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

January 3, 2005 Flag

My daughter is getting married in June 2005. We are having a simple reception (cake, punch, fruit/veggie trays, finger foods). We will be having the wedding/reception outdoors around noon (the time hasn't been set in stone as of this writing). The wedding will take place in a beautiful field.

My problem is I need suggestions on how to decorate the pavillions where the reception wil be held. I have suggested using tulle and fabric in her wedding colors (yellow/white) to drape the beams, even an ivy/flower combo. She is not very impressed with either idea. She has specific ideas about every aspect of this day except for the pavillion decor (She does, however know that she wants the tables to be dressed in white linen with a yellow/white gingham runner. She will also be setting the tables with simple daisy centerpieces)

I am running out of ideas and time. June will be here before I know it. I am open to and will appreciate any and all suggestions.

Amy

Does ANYONE have any good ideas in decorating above ground pools and a swing set that can't be moved for an outdoor wedding reception?

Use the fabric to drape not only the post(beams) but also use it to go from the post to the center of the roof and drape in a swag form to meet in middle then use some sort of center piece to hang in center (like flowers on a round foam cover entire ball hang from center with ribbon) use Christmas lights to put in the fabric to set mood. I am having my reception in a barn and this is how I am going to decorate some. hope this helps. you can also use rented trees to set the mood(using lights on them to set the mood) have fun!

I am doing a wedding on a golf course, the ninth tee to be exact i need some ideas of how to make this gorgeous can anyone help me if so please contact me at Elizzy_Sis AT yahoo.com or 870-944-0281 I need help please I only have a short amount of time to do this. Any help would be appreciated!

Read More Answers...

January 13, 2006 Flag

I'm looking for a cheap way to decorate my hall and tables. Does anyone have any ideas for decorations and a center peice to go on the middle of the tables?

Stacey From Staines Middlesex

Hi Stacey, here is my second idea for your wedding reception. First, envision what you want your reception to look like. I was married on Valentine's Day, so my reception had pink, with maroon tablecloths, and small pink votive candles along with small bouquets of deep red roses. There was "baby's breath" mixed in, but this was in the Eighties,(and out of style now!) If you are getting married in the Fall, you can use avocado green, and a light blue accent color. Buy light-blue fabric, and make your own placemats for each individual. Your flowers for the tables could be blue and green delphiniums and hydrangeas. For favors, give each guest some Jordan almonds wrapped up in light blue organza, and tied with avocado green ribbon.

Another idea for a Fall wedding is using small baskets for your favors-they add texture. On the cake table, place a small silver tea tray with chocolates( store-bought chocolates decorated with an initial in light blue) and this will delight your guests. Shop for chocolates at a candy "outlet" where the prices are lower. It is your day, so be as creative as you want!

Stacey, we saved money at my daughter's wedding by using the favors as the table centers as well. Just use a footed cake plate or two (I would use two if setting 8'tables) place your favors on the cake plate and scatter rose petals around and on the cake plate. You can add candles if you like. We got our favor packaging at ribbonsandfavors.com and were really pleased with the boxes and put our own edibles inside we actually had a hard time choosing because they had such a nice selection.

It turned out really nice, and none of our footed cake plates matched, as we begged, borrowed and purchased. It looked even better for it as the favor boxes tied it all together. We also set a little note at each place to let our guests know that it was okay to take apart the table centers. You could also have your MC announce that as well - bonus - less to clean up.

USE Lanterns....go to places like Michaels..Joanne fabrics for ideas and inexpensive items..sign up for their mailing list get the coupons!! Lanterns..candles..Smaller flowers..all could make great centerpieces.. Inexpensive Glass vases with small type flowers and greenery or real Flowers...carnations..etc many flowers are pretty inexpensive at the florist. hope this helps..Go online..look up inexpensive ideas for wedding..... I went to Thriftbooks.com got 3 books for only 13 dollars .they wer not new but in good condition for my daughter as she has a September wedding coming up.

Read More Answers...

January 20, 2011 Flag

I'm using a fire hall for my wedding reception. I'm having trouble trying to find an inexpensive way to cover 2 11 foot X 50 foot walls. I was thinking to use "S" hooks on the drop ceiling and attaching PVC piping to have it suspended and attaching tulle. I wanted to know how much tulle I would need to conceal the lockers and trophies since tulle is so sheer. Does anyone have any other suggestions on an inexpensive fabric or another inexpensive way to cover the walls?

By Danielle from Baltimore, MD

Okay, maybe silly of me but I have a sense of humor so why not take advantage of it being a fire hall and simply decorate with a fire fighters theme in mind that they would protect you both when a fire breaks out between you and your future spouse for a lot less money and effort? Wedding receptions don't really have to be serious and the best receptions I've ever been to have been light hearted. ;-)

We recently had a reception in a fire hall that had a similar situation. We bought a roll of tablecloth from Oriental Trading along with a banner with their names and date on it. The wedding was in the fall so we picked up some fake leaves at the dollarstore. We taped the cloth up, just running the roll to the end of the glass trophey cases and then a second row at the bottom as it wasnt long enough. We then decorated the tablecloth with the banner and leaves. The whole thing came out under $50 and everyone thought it was great! Most firemen take their gear out of the lockers and place with the trucks during events as they dont want to intrude on your big day by running in to gear up. Hope this helps!

We used rolls of plastic tablecloth from a Party City store. It comes in a variey of colors in 40 in. by 100 ft. lengths. If you have any hooks near the ceiling you can stretch thin rope across the ceiling through the hooks and then put the rolled out tablecloth from the floor, up the wall and over the rope to the other side, and then back down the wall. You can make sure it stays in place on the ceiling by using small silver binder clips that you can get at Staples. We had the reception in a large gym.

Our guests who had not been ther before couldn't tell it was a gym. Tulle is more expensive than the tablecloth and more difficult to work with. I would use it to accent where you wanted to. Congratulations to both of you.

Read More Answers...

August 8, 2011 Flag

I am stuck on decorating my garage for a wedding ceremony and reception, since it is suppose to rain and outside is out of question. How do I decorate an empty garage for a wedding ceremony and reception for 20 people? My theme colour is all blue colours.

By Patricia D.

If you know that rain is in the forecast, this must be happening pretty soon! I was thinking about somethink like what EGGZ suggested. You could also find some miniature Christmas lights and gently tack them along the tops of the walls. Just be sure not to pierce the wiring! We have craft supply stores that have Christmas lights year-round. Good luck with the wedding!

Satin sheets, tulle, ribbon, flowers and an imagination! Sheets usually have a hemmed edge, easy to slip onto rods! Have fun!

Is there any possibility of having the wedding and reception inside the house? You could clear the living room of any excess furniture and leave just a couch or two for elderly relatives to sit on, then everyone else can stand. If you need to block out some part of the house that isn't so pretty, you could buy some tri-fold screens that let you put your own fabric on them. That way you could get your blue in there. Or you could have a screen or two behind the minister as kind of a back drop.

I've had a wedding in my home and other than giving it a good cleaning, it wasn't very hard. In addition we had the kitchen right there for the reception and didn't have to transport food.

Read More Answers...

June 10, 2010 Flag

My wedding theme is the perfect pair "pear" wedding. I am trying to get cheap ideas for wedding decoration for the tables and the hall all together. Does anybody have any decorating ideas?

By Camilee

If "perfect pair" is the theme I would use prints of other perfect pairs such as dance partners like fred astair and ginger rogers. You could tape cut outs of shoe prints leading to each "perfect pair" photos, you could follow this around the room and finish it with your own photos:)

If "perfect pear" is the theme, find some baskets and fill with pears for the guests to munch on. You could add some pretty wedding themed ribbons and some mylar filler. Or you could do several different pear desserts and have a different one at each table. Good luck.

Camilee: Whether you use "pair" or "pear". You can do all sorts of wonderful things. I like the pear theme using the soft colors of pears which could be piled in the silver or gold "Revere" style bowls (you can buy them made of plastic) in the center of the tables or golden fruit baskets. Filler in the bottom of containers can keep the sumptuous look. One wedding I worked used the fruit bowl centerpieces and then gave people small baskets to take home some of the pieces, another donated the extra fruit to a homeless shelter. I am also attaching a website that shows "perfect pair" place cards that look delightful and attach to the glasses. Have fun. You can do it without spending a fortune. Check out this site it is loaded with great stuff and ideas that are very creative. It also depends on the time of year/and place you are getting married. http://www.save-on-crafts.com/es.html

Have you found what you needed? I just ran across this site, trust link works.

http://www.weddingfavorsilove.com/The-Perfect-Pair-Theme-Wedding-s/11.htm

Read More Answers...

January 21, 2011 Flag

I am having a wedding reception at our home in July. We have a pool and a large yard off to the side and will rent a tent, etc. I would like some ideas of decorating the tent and around the pool area, maybe something for in the pool to float.

Answer This QuestionMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 8, 2013 Flag

My wedding colors are yellow and pink and the walls of the venue are blue and white. How can I cover that on a tight budget? Help!

By Erika

You cannot cover up the blue walls on a tight budget. Consider changing your color scheme for the wedding, or run the risk of a pink, blue and yellow color scheme that can ruin the look and come off like the Easter bunny came to the reception.

Load More
    Weddings ReceptionMay 31, 2013
    A platter of fruit and cheese.
    Inexpensive Wedding Appetizers
    Keeping Drinks Cold at a Wedding, Punch in a punch bowl.
    Wedding Punch Recipes
    Candle centerpiece at a wedding.
    Wedding Candle Centerpiece Ideas
    Coffee and dessert reception.
    Coffee and Dessert Wedding Reception Ideas
    © 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 21, 2016 at 12:07:12 AM on 10.0.1.237 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.