Decorating an Artificial Christmas Tree

Category Tree
A white artificial Christmas tree with red ornaments.
Artificial trees have some advantages over fresh ones, especially if they are pre-lit. The actual adding of seasonal decorations, however, is basically the same as with a fresh tree. This is a guide about decorating an artificial Christmas tree.

This is the first year in 44 years that I didn't put up a fresh cut Christmas tree. I truly can't believe I caved in and got this artificial tree. Well this year, my health is not good. Not having a significant other now, I rely on my 3 sons a lot. My son suggested, "Mom, you really should consider an artificial tree", not only to make it easier on them but for safety reasons. Well, I caved in and said yes. He bought it and I could not believe how easy it was to set up. But, it just did not look right to me. I had to go to the drawing board and create my real looking tree by filling in those empty spots.

Well, here is what I did. By the way, I usually decorate my Christmas tree in themes every year; by color, ribbons, bows or different decorations. Here are my pictures of what I bought at Michael's and what I did with this beautiful tree that I am now thrilled with. This year my theme was "poinsettias and gold beaded sprays"

When using an artificial Christmas tree many larger durable tree stands are too large. Buy some PVC pipe and cut it in small and equal pieces to place inside the tree stand to make a circle around the smaller tree base. If you have pets, you can drill holes in the PVC pipe and place the screws in the tree stand through the PVC pipe for extra durability to hold the tree in place (so even when animals jump on the tree or rub against it, it is very study and the tree does not fall over).

By Carol Sissom