DecoupageCrafts

Decorative Decoupage Christmas Plates

If you buy or have material of a particular pattern, photo, or even a special drawing of an adult or a child's (on material) that you would like to turn into a lovely dish, here's how!

Total Time: 1 1/2 hour

1. Gather materials. I used newspapers underneath it all. (Spray isn't pictured here.)
  2. Paint on the modge podge directly from the jar or wet your sponge brush and paint Elmer's white glue onto the BACK of the dish. Spread thinly and evenly all the way to the edge of the dish. Don't use so much glue that it has big opaque white areas or it will be too wet to adhere nicely.
  3. Advertisement
  4. Place material, "printed side down", onto the plate and gently press down the material all over the plate. Keep pressing it down and when you think you've gotten it all peek on the other side to make sure you didn't miss a spot. Leave it dry for about 5 minutes.
  5. Now paint your modge podge or glue on top of the material you just adhered to the plate. Don't flood it, just wet it down to make it all stick together. Make sure you don't miss any spots!
  6. Advertisement
  7. After about 10 minutes I picked up the plate and held it from the bottom while I snipped the excess material or stray threads away from the rim of the plate. Sometimes the material will pull away from the plate, so after you cut just use your brush to make sure it's pushed back onto the rim.
  8. Next I brought my plate outside to spray (where the material is on the back only) with a Krylon acrylic crystal clear spray. I sprayed it on and let it dry, then sprayed it again and again for a total of 6 times. This spray is moisture resistant and is said to be able to be used on plates, but I wouldn't expose the plate to a dishwasher.
  9. Advertisement
  10. I will only use it for decorative purposes or where a quick wipe up of the top of the plate only will be needed. Next time I want to try to add a copy of a special photo (or drawing on material) to a plate.

Very nice, your work looks lovely!I use to also from time to time I use to do these plates years ago and sell them in a craft store on commission, I use to do a variation at times by gluing a doily on the back, been so long I don`t recall if I painted the plate first or dabbed after the doily, anyway you sparked my interest that I am considering this a winter project to make some like you did as gifts next year, thanks for the inspiration....I just loved your plates! BTW the plate I made the most money from was a Elvis plate.