Deep Butter Coffee Cake Recipe

Category Coffee
Coffee cake can be a delectable treat any time of year. Add some deep buttery flavor to make your next coffee cake especially good. This page contains deep butter coffee cake recipe.

When I was a young adult there was a bakery in St Louis, Mo that sold deep butter coffee cakes with a crumb topping, they were to die for! I'm wondering if anyone has a recipe for this? It might also have been a gooey butter coffee cake with crumb topping. Thanks

Sherri from Anacortes, WA

Best Answer

Is this it?

1/2 cup butter softened

1 (8 oz.) cream cheese, softened

1-1/4 cup sugar

2 eggs

1 tsp. vanilla

2 cups flour, unsifted

1 tsp. baking powder

1/2 tsp. baking soda

1/4 tsp. salt

1/4 cup milk or heavy cream

---

Preheat oven to 350. Grease and flour a 9x13 inch pan or you can use two 8" round

cake pans. Cream butter and cream cheese until light. Gradually add sugar and continue beating until light and fluffy. Beat in eggs, one at a time and vanilla until well blended. Set aside. Mix flour, baking powder, baking soda and salt. Gradually add flour mixture, alternating with milk to butter mixture beating well after each addition. Turn into baking pan(s), sprinkle with topping mixture. Bake in 350 oven for 35 to 40 minutes or until golden brown.

---

Topping:

1/3 cup brown sugar, packed

1/3 cup flour, unsifted

1/2 tsp. cinnamon

2 tsp. butter softened

Blend all ingredients together with a fork.

For an extra crumbly coffee cake, double topping recipe.

Best Answer

Rachael Ray show had Paula Deen on yesterday with a Pumpkin Gooey Butter Cake recipe. Might look it up on the RR website. Looked yummy!

Editor's Note: We have that recipe here:

Here's the best link for her delicious recipe:

http://tinyurl.com/j8xhl

St.Louis had the best bakeries that I have ever been to. There was one on Sydny just off S. 18th St. that was to die for. I have yet to find any that can put out that kind of quality. Now that was a long time ago so maybe no-one bakes like that any more. Good luck in finding a substitute.

To R. Timmons - they were the German bakeries that were the best. I'm talking back 36 years ago so it's hard to remember where I used to shop, but we lived close enough to walk to Cherokee St, so the bakery might have been there. I miss those good old days, the texture of the cheesecake was very light and almost spongy and melted in your mouth. Yum yum! The deep butter cake was so rich and good I can't even think of how to describe it, and I'm not talking about gooey butter cake.

To U*u*U - thanks for the recipe, I'm gonna try it!

It will be better if having pictures for every recipes.

The baker's name that had the recipe was Buttemoeller and he baked for a bakery at 3300 Arsenal. The recipe passed to Lake Forest Bakery on Clayton Road in St. Louis. Now they are gone too. Some thought Favorite Bakery on Cherokee had the recipe but Buttemoeller went to work at Lake Forest so I suspect that's the original recipe. The dough was made with sweet yeast dough (thin layer) and then the melt-in-your-mouth deep butter was at least 2/3 high on top of the dough. Loved to find that recipe too. After baking, they shook powder sugar on top. Yum!!!

Wow, Dorothy! You're obviously from St Louis! I'm so glad you posted, I was beginning to think I was imagining it! That cake was to die for! I think it was the bakery on Arsenal St! I may have lived on S Grand or just off of it! It's been so many years I can't remember. Did that bakery also have cheesecakes with a very light texture? I loved both the deep butter cake and the cheesecake! I wouldn't mind talking to you if possible, by email of course. But I don't know how to do it.

Wow, Dorothy! You must be from St Louis! I'm glad you posted, I was beginning to think I was imagining that cake. I think it was the bakery on Arsenal St, I think I used to live on S Grand or just off of it. I also remember a Cheesecake that had a light, airy texture. I loved both of those cakes. Well, we can never go back, can we?

I wouldn't mind corresponding with you but I don't know how since you were a guest.

My grandmother worked at Shnucks around Halls Ferry Circle and I have the best deep gooey butter coffee cake that they made if anyone would like the recipe email me at biker_granny46 AT yahoo.com

I used to get Deep Butter (ahhh...Nectar of Life) from Party Pastry Bakery in West St. Louis County. It's now owned by Lake Forest Bakery (but I think it still has the original name). HOWEVER, Lake Forest - for some ODD reason - decided to change the recipe a bit (crumb bottom). It just isn't the same. Perhaps they'll share the recipe. I've also heard rumor that McArthur's Bakery sells DBCC, too.