Deep Frying Tips and Tricks

Deep frying is a popular method of preparing certain foods. Following a few simple tips can ensure positive results and help prevent greasy, unappetizing ones. This is a guide about deep frying tips and tricks.

August 18, 2010 Flag

I came up with a fun way to remember the rules of checking for proper temperature of oil for frying battered foods, without a thermometer in a skillet or pot based on "Goldilocks and the Three Bears" ;-)

If the batter immediately turns golden and raises to the top then the oil is too hot. If you drop a teaspoon of batter into the oil and it sinks to the bottom right away then the oil is too cold. If the batter takes about 30 seconds to rise then the temperature of the oil is just right.

By Deeli from Richland, WA

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 4 Comments

June 9, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about safe oils for deep frying foods. Choosing the safest oil for your cooking needs can be confusing.

Home Deep Fryer with Fried chicken and chicken and sauces on table

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

June 2, 2016 Flag

This is a guide about reusing frying oil. Frying oil can often be reused if you follow a few simple steps.

Close up of food being fried in a deep fat fryer

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

October 22, 2008 Flag

To get really crispy bacon, you can deep fry it! The oil needs to be kept in a different container than your regular frying oil. You can use it to make your hush puppies taste better, though.

By Tim from Science Hill

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Read 3 Comments

September 10, 2009 Flag

Any suggestions for getting breading to stick to fish and other foods before I fry it? Whatever I have tried doesn't work.

By ocedar from Palm Coast, FL

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I have the best success at making any coating stick, if I coat the meat first with flour, then egg, then the coating, whatever it is. It also helps to let the breaded meat sit for a bit and dry out some before frying.

I have a great recipe for this. It is a beer batter. Flour, salt & pepper, & enough beer to make the consistency of pancake mix. I love this particularly on deep fried squash. Just dip what ever food you're cooking into the batter & drop into a deep fryer. Coating stays put!

Whatever coating is used, I always prepare ahead and let sit in the fridge for at least 30mins before cooking. Not sure why, but it works.

I dust the meat with cornstarch then flour and that works for me. Also make sure the oil or grease is hot before putting the meat in.

Make sure the oil is hot and don't flip tons of times, that should help!

I'm with them. At least 30 mins. in the fridge.

I do the dry/wet/dry method myself, and it works well. My sister-in-law does the dry, then wet, then puts them right in the hot oil, and hers works well too!

July 15, 2009 Flag

How do I clean my fryer? Its caked up with old grease.

By kevinhulin from Wilmington, NC

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Make sure it is dry, then spray it with Engine Shampoo or Engine Degreaser, let it stand for an hour, and wash it

with hot, soapy water and a stiff brush. In extreme cases, you may have to repeat the procedure, but usually once is

enough. It does not hurt aluminum or stainless steel. Have Fun!

DearWebby

http://webby.com/humor

Oven cleaner (even off brands) will work and will not hurt the finish. Just make sure that you are outside when you do it because the fumes are heavy!

I use a baking soda paste (baking soda and water) or just straight baking soda. Works great everytime!

Food and Recipes Food Tips Cooking TipsMarch 27, 2014
frying pan birdbath
Making a Birdbath from a Frying Pan
Reusing Frying Oil
Safe Oils for Deep Frying Foods
Large Turkey in Deep Fryer
Deep Frying a Turkey
🍀
💘
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on January 15, 2017 at 11:57:40 AM on 10.0.0.57 in 5 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.