Defrosting Your Freezer

Category Appliances
Defrosting Your Freezer
A lot of space can be freed up in your freezer by defrosting. This guide is about defrosting your freezer.

Fast and easy way to clean your freezer, use a fan. Simply empty the freezer and direct at top speed in front of a stand up or on top of a chest freezer. The frost will melt in a matter of minutes!

I have a small college dorm refrigerator and it needs to be defrosted every 3 to 4 months. I have found that if I wrap the freezer with Saran Wrap after I've defrosted it, it is much easier to defrost the next time.

I unplug it, pack it with a few beach towels and a small pan to catch drips and I chip at the ice just enough see the edge of the freezer compartment. After a short amount of time, the ice just chips off in very large sections and I don't have to wait for it to completely melt. I take the large chunks of ice and put them in my plants.

Then I'd dry the freezer and wrap it with new Saran Wrap. I wrap it so the solid part is on the bottom outside and the seam is on the inside of the freezer. I do use two pieces so it goes up the sides of the freezer compartment. For some reason, the ice does not form between the Saran Wrap and the freezer compartment. It breaks free quite easily.

I have an easy, QUICK way to defrost my chest freezer. After defrosting and wiping dry, put about a tablespoon of glycerin on a cloth and run it around the side walls and the top of your freezer. Next time you defrost it, the ice will come off in sheets and no need to chip away. Just get a hairdryer set to its hottest setting and play it around the top rim of the freezer to loosen the ice. Last time I defrosted my freezer after about 8 months, it took me no more than 30 minutes from start to finish!

By Cett from Malta, Europe

I use a clean shop vac to remove all the water that melts when I defrost our large box freezer. The shop vac is quick and gets into corners where I can't reach. All I have to do then is dry the freezer and replace the food.

Source: I thought of this when I was in a hurry and the freezer needed defrosting.

To quickly defrost your freezer.

1. Remove the food and place in a cooler.
  2. Turn off or unplug the freezer.
  3. Place pans of hot water on each shelf; replace as they grow cool.
  4. Place a floor fan in front of the open door. Turn on high setting.
  5. As the ice melts use a wet/dry vac to vacuum up the water. This way you don't get water all over the floor.
  6. When the ice is all gone, dry the shelves with a towel.
  7. Spray with cooking oil spray and wipe off the excess. (This helps the new ice not to stick as much).
  8. Turn the freezer back on for 15 minutes.

9. Load the food back into the freezer.

Source: My mother and myself

By Nightsong from Hay Capitol of the World

To defrost a freezer easily, try this: First, turn if off or unplug. Remove the contents. Next, blow on the ice with a hairdryer, one small section at a time.

The next time you have defrosted you freezer, dry it throughly. Then wipe vegetable oil on the inside walls and floor of the freezer.

How do I defrost an old type freezer quickly, without scrapers and hot water?

By John

Put a pot of boiling water on a towel in the freezer. Keep watching and changing the water as the freezer thaws. Good luck.

Try using a hairdrayer.

Ah ha! lol. You did say without hot water. I guess I read too fast. Try unplugging the freezer. Also, put a fan on in front of it if possible.

Put a blow dryer in it and shut the door. Check every few minutes.

Why without water?I had an old one for years long after everyone else had upgraded.I loved it,from my grandma.I always once a week so it wouldnt get too bad,take a large(as large as possible)pot of boiling water.Set it inside and let it do its thing.I have used blow dryers honestly after YEARS of doing this the best way is boiling water.If you dont want to do that I can only say a blow dryer works remember they do over heat,so dont let it run too long at a time.

Just blowing air with the exhaust of your vacuum cleaner will also work, if you do not want to use the hair dryer. I found the vacuum was preferable, but the one I have now doesn't have the blowing feature.

What is the procedure for cleaning and defrosting the freezer?

By Peter from UAE

Round up a few large boxes, the heavier the better. Unplug the freezer. Unload the items quickly trying to place like items together without taking too much time to sort. Cover each box as it's filled completely with a large blanket folded as small as the box (no wasted blanket on the floor.

Push all boxes together so they can help each other stay cold. Put a large fan in front of the open freezer and turn it on high. Leave it until the ice melts as least part way. Clean up water and wipe out freezer.

Replace items in the order you wish but do it quickly. Don't thing too much, this stuff needs to get back in the freezer.

Close the door, get a cold drink, and pat yourself on the back!

Step 1. Take out all your items in the freezer and put them into a large black bag (heavy duty bag). Wrap a duvet around it to keep the cold in.

Step 2. Fill large bowls of steaming hot water and place on the shelves inside the freezer. Place a thick towel on the floor to catch drips.

Step 3. Wait.

Step 4. Once the ice is loosened use a plastic scraper to remove the built up ice. Never use a metal implement as this can puncture the walls releasing the CFC's.

Step 5. Once cleaned, with a cotton cloth liberally smear Glycerin all over your freezer walls. This makes a clean-up the next time a lot quicker.

Step 6. Pop back all your foodstuffs back in the freezer.

While I was defrosting I counted all of my portions of meats and main meal type items and made a list to keep on my freezer. Now I just tick them off once I use a portion and that way I can see, at a glance what I have and haven't got when I next go shopping!

Monique :)

I use a large ice chest. Unplug the appliance and put all the items you can in the chest. By then the ice is slipping a bit and you can use your hair dryer to hurry it up. quick as a wink it is cleaned and you just put the stuff back in. Be sure to discard all that is outdated or opened or otherwise ruined. Good luck!

No one mentioned to turn the freezer off initially, before even taking the stuff out. Just make sure you remember to turn it back on later! I use a blow-dryer to help defrost the ice quickly, but you must be with it. I use a heavy duty, waterproof extension cord that is well grounded, and make sure no water drips onto the blow-dryer. Mine will shut off automatically if it does, so electrocution isn't possible. It sure makes the job a lot quicker and easier.

Hey peter! I lived in jumeira in the UAE for 5 years. My daughter went to Dubai college and my son went to emirates international while we lived there. it was quite an experience! Anyway, one tip I have for you is that after you have finished defrosting the freezer, wipe out the inside with a cloth dampened with glycerin. Trust me, when you next come to defrost the freezer, the ice will just fall off in sheets and you will finish the job in a snap!

Is it OK to use a hand steamer to melt ice when defrosting the freezer? I find my indoor outdoor vac sure saves time, my legs, and back to clean up the water that is in the bottom.

By Carol from FL

I am not sure, but the steam might damage the plastic parts. I use a fan, as someone posted on here last week. Works as fast as anything I have ever tried. Nice idea about the shop vac! I found that a Rubbermaid tote fits perfectly in the bottom of my freezer and catches most of the ice and water. I use newspaper to absorb drips.

Don't do it. My dad melted the inside of our freezer years ago using a hair dryer.

I have used a hair dryer before and had no problems. Just use a slow steady stream of air, and do not focus in one place for too long. Use towels or a pan below to catch the drips/ice chunks. Good luck!

Like Mjeffwhit, I've used my hairdryer for years with no problems. I use the trays you get for ready pasted wallpaper to catch drips, right size for my freezer.

I have an LG bottom freezer. I hate it because it is always frosted up. Would someone please tell me what to do about this situation.

By Sherry from Edmonton, Alberta

Just had a repair man here because my brand new frost free freezer had frost. He took one look and said air was getting in somehow. The appliance company changed the handle from one side to the other and left a gap along the door and the frame.