Deodorant Stains On Clothing

Deodorant Stains on Black Fabric: How can I remove underarm deodorant stains from black fabrics without fading or shrinking? The shirts in question are cotton (although there is one that is more of a poly/spandex) and have been washed several times with residue still remaining.

Jeannette from Rexburg, ID

Answers:

Deodorant Stains On Clothing

Talk about deodorant stains! I had the weirdest thing happen after I got my new GE front load washer. I was washing a load of colored clothes and I had used my usual Tide he, which is recommended for that washer and a brand of fabric softener I had used before, but it was a new scent. When I took the clothes out of the dryer, my husband's colored T-shirts were all wrinkled under the arms and the wrinkles were stiff like plastic. It hadn't happened until I used that new scent of fabric softener. I've washed and washed and it will not come out. It's still stiff and wrinkled. I'm supposing it was a reaction between his deodorant and the fabric softener. (03/20/2007)

By auntieM39

Deodorant Stains On Clothing

I had a problem with a deodorant stain on my favorite black t-shirt. It was thin and could be seen on the outside of the shirt. I had great success with Oxy clean. I rubbed it into the shirt and then threw it in the washer and it came out! (07/16/2007)

By Jake

Deodorant Stains On Spandex

My daughter nearly freaked out. She ran through a dress rehearsal and her deodorant left large orange stains on her green spandex dance outfit. It was very traumatic. After several tries we discovered that ammonia dripped onto a paper towel would remove the stains. We also washed the garment in warm Woolite under the delicate cycle afterward. The disaster was averted...whew. These things always happen when my wife is out of town on vacation. (09/06/2007)

By Dance Daddy

Deodorant Stains On Clothing

Thank you everyone for your advice! Keep it coming! (09/07/2007)

By Costumemiss

Deodorant Stains On Clothing

I used to get those yellow stains in the armpits of my white shirts. Then my husband told me to quit using deodorant and just use anti-perspirant (I use his old spice sport stuff). It stopped the issue and I think that it works just as good, and I'm not stinky :-) (09/28/2007)

By Becky

Deodorant Stains On Clothing

I would always get this thick crusty yellowish residue on my p.e. shirts back in high school. Even after I washed it, it still smelt like sweat and deodorant. I put about 2 tablespoons of laundry soap in a small tub of warm water in the sink. Then I went to work. Just keep scrubbing and rinsing. Keep smelling it while you're at it. After about 15 minutes of scrubbing, I put it in the washer, and it was like a brand new shirt. (01/15/2008)

By Clara

Deodorant Stains On Clothing

AMMONIA - someone mentioned it in one of the earlier posts. Ammonia is the best way to get deodorant stains. (03/12/2008)

By junebug

Deodorant Stains On Clothing

I tried mixing vinegar, lemon juice and meat tenderizer all together, and applied to the armpit area. To my surprise after leaving it overnight, it created a big hole at the area. There goes my favorite shirt! (05/11/2008)

By akim

Deodorant Stains On Clothing

I had no success with lemon juice, but I tried the meat tenderizer paste. It didn't work just leaving it on there overnight. What I eventually figured out works great: Wet the armpit of the shirt, add the meat tenderizer mixture. Let it set for a few hours (2-4 works) and then scrape at it with a metal spoon against a hard surface. Once it starts to come up, add a very small amount of liquid detergent and scrape again. Be careful not to scrape too hard or you'll damage the shirt... only a little pressure should be needed. Wash as you normally would. (06/11/2008)

By Halz

Yucky Yellow Stains on White/Light Clothing from Deodorant/A

How many great white tops are ruined from underarm yellowing? Isn't it just gross? I wonder if it is just my body chemistry or the deodorant/anti-perspirant I'm using that creates these unsightly stains. Here's something that worked, and I didn't believe it would, as I have tried (and gave up on) stain sticks, soap scrubbing, etc. for these stains.

My mother has an allergy to scented products, so she switched to using baking soda for deodorant (wet a few fingers and touch them to the baking powder, then spread it over underarm area - it's non-toxic, clean feeling and surprisingly effective!). She said after using it a while, she noticed the yellowish armpit stains in her clothing were disappearing. Could it be so easy? So I smeared some soda right from the box on those little spots on a favorite white cotton peasant blouse (wet the stained area first) and left it sitting for a couple of days. Then I threw the blouse in the front loader washing machine with the rest of the light wash I had, and couldn't believe when the blouse came out clean with no underarm staining. Now it's not perfectly white-white, but it's pretty darn close.

I don't know how it would work on colors or synthetics (poly, poly-blends, etc.) - haven't tried it, so test first. By the way, for stains on clothing in general, I use Spray 'n Wash Stain Stick (bright green and red packaging) and it works 99% of the time. Treat stains ASAP, and wash in cold water. Spread the word.

(07/08/2008)

By Valerie

Deodorant Stains On Clothing

I have used a product called "De-Solv-It" that worked fairly well. It didn't get rid of the stains, but it did well for drastically reducing the stiffness. I sprayed it on, left it for an hour, scrubbed it with a clean bath brush, then sent it through the wash. But beware, De-solv-it is an orange based solvent, and it will leave a light orange color on whites. (07/26/2008)

By Gerald

Deodorant Stains On Clothing

On whites, I soaked the stain in vinegar and then sprinkled on some baking soda and rubbed it in really well. Then I let it sit for about an hour and washed as usual, the stains were pretty much gone. I just don't know what to do with the darks because I think what I did on the whites might remove the color. If I test it I will let you know. (10/04/2008)

By hyperskygirl

Photo of a stick of Sure deodorant.
Removing Deodorant Stains on Clothing
A woman putting on deodorant.
Deodorant Reviews
Man Using Deodorant
Using Deodorant
Deodorant Stains
Removing Deodorant Stains From a Sweater
Man Holding Burger with Mustard Stain on his Tie
Removing Mustard Stains from Clothing
🎉
🎄