Deodorant Stains on Undershirts

My husband wears Right Guard Extreme Sport Gel deodorant. No matter how much or how little he uses, it makes the under arms of his undershirts stiff and hard. After about 6 weeks or so, the shirts will even gets holes in them. I have tried spraying them with stain remover, soaking them in bleach, nothing works. Any suggestions?

Jennifer from St. Peters MO

Right Guard Deodorant Build Up on Undershirts

Have you tried spraying them with straight ammonia or vinegar? (01/04/2006)

By homeschoolin_mum

I am sure there is something out there that will get it out, but if it won't come out of his clothes and is so harsh that it eats holes in them, do you really think it's a good idea to keep using it? If so, I'd try ammonia or vinegar with hot water. (01/04/2006)

By Barbie

Try making a paste of Borax and water and work it into the stain. Let it sit for 1/2 hour or so then proceed to wash as usual. Afterward, always wash undershirts, t-shirts, etc. wrong side out and if you notice the problem starting up, pre-treat with a good laundry pre-treat product, rubbing in thoroughly. It's not just the brand of deodorant, but a chemical reaction that is causing it. I've learned this from treating this problem in my husbands shirts for years. Good luck. (01/04/2006)

By SalTCBug

I think you use ammonia for deodorant stains on clothing. Good luck. (01/05/2006)

By Carol

Believe it or not, this works. Buy a container of meat tenderizer (on the spice aisle of the grocery store), shake some into a small dish, and add water a few drops at a time to make a thick paste. Spread this paste liberally on the stiff areas and work it in well with an old toothbrush. Let it set for several hours (overnight is good), then rinse it out with HOT water. Most or all of the stiffness should be gone, wash as usual.

I have used this tip many times and it has always worked! (01/06/2006)

By Becki in Indiana

Photo of a stick of Sure deodorant.
Removing Deodorant Stains on Clothing
A woman putting on deodorant.
Deodorant Reviews
Man Using Deodorant
Using Deodorant
Deodorant Stains
Removing Deodorant Stains From a Sweater
Homemade Deodorant with Ribbon Wrapped Around it
Making Homemade Deodorant