Determining the Gender of a Finch

Category Birds
If you are considering breeding finches you will need to be able to determine gender. This is a guide about determining the gender of a finch.

How do I find out if finches are male or female?

Since you did not specify what kind of finches you have, I suggest a website that may provide you with the information you should consider in order to answer your question Good Luck!

http://www.finc  xing_finches.php

Males are more brightly colored than females and may have more colorful cheeks and more markings.

I bought 2 zebra finches from Petcity and was wondering if they are boy and girl (male and female). They were in seperate cages when we bought them too btw. In the 2 weeks that we have had them they have laid 10 eggs, lost 4 -now 6 and then recently this week laid another 3, so 9 all together. I am just wondering what is happening because they sit on them and I don't know if they are fertile or not. Any suggestions? How do I tell which one is the male and which one is the female?

By Joseph from WA

Dear Joseph, firstly try to see the color of the beak of the two finches. It is the easiest way of determining sex of these birds. The male will have a darker colored beak (more reddish orange) than the female (light orange). Another way is to watch them carefully in daytime as the male will sing and the female will only make short sounds like chirping. Also you have not told in how many days they have laid all the 9 eggs. They generally lay one egg everyday normally in the morning hours and the hatchling will come out at around 14-16 days after the hatching starts. Even if two females are kept together, they may lay eggs but obviously those will be infertile(will not hatch). So carefully watch your birds and also do not move the cage or physically disturb them as they will not hatch the eggs if you do so. Hope this helps. Bye....

Can I figure out the sex of my finches by their coloring?

By Terry from Wilmington, MA

Anonymous

There are several breeds of finches, they all have different coloring. First you will need to determine the breed of your finches. Here is a website that should help.

http://animal-w  FinchProfile.htm

Anonymous

As in many breeds of birds, male finches are the colorful ones and the females are plain.

How can I tell if fully feathered baby zebra finch is a boy or a girl?

There are three babies in the nest, one is white with a gray head, one is gray, and the other is cream colored. Is there any chance they could be color mutations?

By hailbop