Diabetic Meal Planning

Category Meal Planning
Diabetic Meal Planning
Eating well when you have diabetes includes not only finding appropriate recipes, but also meal planning on a daily basis. This is a guide about diabetic meal planning.

I love this newsletter and thank everyone for the tips. I need help. I have just been diagnosed with Type 2 Diabetes. I have tried looking for a good site to get more info and a menu list, etc. I would really appreciate and help.

Thanks

Answer Was this helpful? 1

Hello Juanita from Mississippi!

I'm sorry to read about your recent health challenge and yes it is hard at first to know what to do, but you should be able after awhile to know how to eat "healthier" and be able to use the normal recipes your used to. "Moderation being the key". Okay - my mom's recipes she left me where from the 30's & 40's (T. of lard, enough flour to blend, etc.). They tasted great - but now...Ha! But you can adjust them after some practice.

The secret is to learn is about carbohydrates in the food you eat to the energy you do. "Sugar" is in all carbohydrates.

Yes, it's about diet - but you can have sugar, (meaning "sweets") as long as you count it in to what you are actively doing during the day/night.

I'm a Type 1 diabetic (insulin) since I was in my mid 30's up here in Canada & am now over the 50+ birthday mark...

Start looking at the products you buy in the grocery store & what a portion of food gives you for a carb usage. Try & start to use more whole grains, raw fruit and lots of veggies which are very filling. When you go to a grocery store, just shop from the outside aisles - processed food is usually found in the "up/down travelling" aisles which have a much higher carb. count. They maybe easier to shop for and use but aren't really that great nutrient wise.

Learn what % or count of carbs mean to energy use, get a referral to a dietician from your doctor.

I understand...this can be quite upsetting at first; but you will survive & hopefully start feeling better by eating better.

I really know - WHAT A PAIN THIS CAN BE and would never wish this disease on my worst enemy!

If you want - keep in touch!

Best wishes!

:-)

D.

My mum has type 2 aswell she got her diet plans from the Diabetes Organization in her state who have alot of information on living with diabetes including cookbooks, if you have one in your state give them a call. Try local newsagentcies in the cookbook isle for bookS on the topic or even book stores. Mum is now off medication after 5 years but she still monitors her blood levels and as "D" mentioned it's all about DIET.

Best Wishes and good luck.

you can go to diabeticdiet.com or just type diabetic in your search engine and it will give you a variety of sites to check.

This is a link for dLife. I found this site after my husband was diagnosed with type 2. There is a lot of info such as recipes and other resources. Great site for diabetics or family members.

http://www.dlif  e/do/ShowContent

Thank everyone for the sites and encouragment. D,Thank you for your advice. Yes, I am afraid and overwhelmed. I never dreamed I would get this on top of the heart and high blood pressure. I am really trying to follow the diet, but having trouble understanding the carbs.I am eating a lot of veggies and fruit. I am not a big sweet eater. I have never been. Also ,I eat very little meat,but my doc said I needed the meat. What do all of you think? Again thank all of you.

Check out walmart.com and walgreen.com pharmacies on-line and in the stores. Online they have info specifically for diabetics. And ask a pharmacist for help. They often have very helpful info.

Dear Juanita

I was also devastated 4 years ago to be told I was a type 2 diabetic.I inherited from my Father because he was the only one in our family that had it.I sent to www.Amazon.com and ordered a diabetic Recipe book and changed from Sugar to Splenda.I take a Metformin 850 mg.3 times a day and feel fine as long as I watch what I eat.if you have to have a "sweet" then eat it before lunch and walk or work it off.I have a treadmill and if I feel like I have ate too much or need some energy,then I'll work out on the treadmill which will also lower the Insulin rate...it's not that hard to remember that for every Carb you eat,it turns to sugar...I try to stay away from ANYTHING white because that's where the starches are found.I hope I've helped you to realize it isn't so terribly hard to live your life and be a diabetic..

If you are interested in books and recipe books, Amazon.com is wonderful. I have bought the used books and recipe books on diabetic cooking. I was always pleased with the conditon of the books, and the price is great too. Good luck.

I was diagnosed w/ Type 2 when I was only 25 years old. It is one of the sypmtoms to my PolyCystic Ovarian Disease. All the above advice is great! One thing I do is once I understood and educated myself about it I kept making some of my favorite low fat recipes (Weight Watchers) and altered them if needed. Also something my nurse told me is stay away from frozen dinners. They are great if your trying to lose weight and don't have any form of diabetes. Also check out the Glucerna Shakes. These shakes are good if you forget to eat lunch or breakfast b/c you DON'T NEED TO EVER SKIP A MEAL when your diabetic!!!!

Juanita; I'm no help with meal plans, but what ever you do, please do make sure you consumer 1/4 teaspoon of cinnamon everyday! The news has been loaded with many articles on the great things the cinnamon can do for D.2.It has a hormone that controls blood sugar, increases metabolism of blood glucose by triggering insulin release and more. Go to Google and enter in the search box- "Alternative Health - Cinnamon. There are many articles on the subject, including the WebMD site. Such a simple thing to do that will greatly improve your health.

This is just what you need!

http://www.onetouchgold.com/

Juanita, I have 2 friends who r not with Thrifty Fun Recipes, but 1 has been Type 2 for over 2 years, the other, approx 9 mos. IF you would like, I could put u in contact with either of 'em! Contact me at Training2Laugh AT aol.com

I am trying to lower my sugar intake, does anyone have a diabetic meal planner that I could try? Thanks in advance.

By Lynda from Kearny, NJ

I would like suggestions for cheap cuts of meat and ideas for meal planning. I have type 2 diabetes.

By Delores