Diatomaceous Earth For Eliminating Fleas

To eliminate fleas on your pets, and in your home, use Diatomaceous Earth. It is finely ground crustacean shells, a fine powder to humans, but sharp edges that cut through the fleas outer shell. I found it on the internet, it also kills ants, cockroaches, bedbugs and flies. It can also be fed to pets and livestock as a dewormer.

By Karen from Ozark, AL

Answers:

I love that stuff, it works. I found mine at the feedstore. Since it's mostly silica, wear a mask and don't breathe it when you're throwing it around. I used to have goats and made the best floor in the barn, by putting down 6 inches of clean washed sand, then 1/2 inch of Diatomaceous Earth, then 12 inch square concrete paver blocks. The wetness ran between blocks and into the sand, where no fly babies could ever hatch because of the Diatomaceous Earth, and I could sweep up everything on top of the pavers.

Be aware that it never, never decays, being a lot like glass (under the microscope it looks like stars, really neat shell shapes, and the pointy corners is what terminates the bugs, not a chemical at all). So don't put it into any garden ground because it's for sure not a friend to earthworms. But it sure beats any chemical spray poisons, much smarter and more organic. (06/18/2007)

By Kim Ch

Please, please take care and do not breath in this powder. It is very dangerous and can damage your lungs. Read the label directions. (06/18/2007)

By Margaret

Very Important. I quote A. Valeria from CA, whose post I read: "I've used Diatomaceous Earth for years, I even used it to get rid of a horrific flea infestation with no bad effects. It works against all insects and parasites.

The "important" thing to note is that "pool grade Diatomaceous Earth is extremely dangerous and can cause silicosis (scarring of the lungs similar to asbestos poisoning). The only safe Diatomaceous Earth to use is natural pulverized or ground Diatomaceous Earth, that can be found in plant nurseries and food storage shops. This Diatomaceous Earth has not been superheated, a process which creates fine threads of silicone glass which makes it a better filtering product, but makes it dangerous to handle or breath." (It's dangerous for humans, think how much more so for your pet.)

Please pass this information on to all forums, etc. you are on. (06/29/2008)

By Aslan

Diatomeceous Earth For Eliminating Fleas

Fleas have to come in contact with the Diatomaceous Earth in order for it to dehydrate them, so the Diatomaceous Earth (we recommend only food grade Diatomaceous Earth) needs to be applied in areas where the fleas exist. Spread very lightly in carpeting or flooring and leave it in for a few days to a week before vacuuming up. Outside it can be applied in areas where fleas or other insects are a problem. Again, we recommend only food grade Diatomaceous Earth, because wild life can consume it and non food grade can kill them, whereas food grade is safe for birds, rabbits, and other animals to consume, yet it's will still dehydrate fleas.

Here's an online source for food grade Diatomaceous Earth: http://www.wolfcreekranch.net
and some retail stores that carry it: http://wolfcreekranch1.tripod.com/de_retailers.html

Hope you are flea free quickly!
(10/24/2008)

By healthy pets

A dog sitting on the grass scratching at fleas.
Using Diatomaceous for Earth Fleas
Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth
Buying Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth
Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth
Uses for Food Grade Diatomaceous Earth
Eliminating Food Waste
Eliminating Food Waste at Home
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding. Upclose photo of a flea.
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding
🎉
🎄