Diet and Exercise After Pregnancy

A woman eating an apple with her baby.
Finding acceptable exercise and maintaining proper nutrition for yourself and your baby is important. This guide is about diet and exercise after pregnancy.

I have a 6 month old baby and can't really afford or find any time to go to the gym. So I was wondering if anyone knows of any good workouts and diet routines that would fit into a busy schedule. I am a single mother of 2 working most of the time and I really want to lose 25 lbs.

But being in such a hurry all the time I can't find time to workout and I always grab a quick bite to eat. So if anybody had any good ideas on a good diet on what to eat and what not to eat. And on good exercising to tone the body. Thanks for your help.

Every one can find some time during the day to exercise. We don't seem to have any problem sitting and wasting countless hours in front of the computer, eating or watching TV.

But when it deals with exercising we just don't have the time. Been there, done that!

Start by eating healthy, cut out a lot of sugar and fats in your diet.

See if you can purchase a used tread-mill and start walking. That is the best kind of exercise.

Anonymous

There are things you can do with the baby that are free. I used to take my son out for long walks during the day before his nap. Or if it is cold by you, you can go to the mall and walk with his/her stroller. Either that or go to any kind of store and just walk around and around with the baby either in stroller or cart. Also, try laying on the floor with the baby and doing push ups or leg lifts and then at the same time you can play with the baby. Hope this helps a bit.

I had to lose 35 lbs after having both my daughters. Check out online resources for ideas/tricks on eating better. Some of my faves are hungry-girl.com, and weightwatchers.com. I am a true believer in Weight Watchers' meetings and found that you can do this inexpensively. Registration is free right now, and it's cheaper to pay the weekly fee, then only go every other week. Steer clear of fad diets. They are expensive and and don't work.

I usually walk for exercise, but I don't just coast along. I've added ankle weights and hand weights to my walk, and boy do I burn more calories and the weight comes off a lot faster! Towards the end of my walk (during the cool-down while still walking at a slower pace), I do upper body exercises with the weights.

This saves time because then I don't need to do them after my walk. You can do this on the treadmill or even outside if you don't mind looking a little silly. This year, I decided to buy an inexpensive pair of Nordic walking poles for my winter outdoor walks. You can use these in any sort of weather/climate. I just tried it for the first time today and my arms are feeling the burn! I think I found a new favorite variation of walking! Plus, additional clothing/boots for wintertime walking adds exertion to your workout, so you can cut the stroll shorter and still burn just as much energy. Oh, and I gotta have my iPod music to help keep up the momentum!

One last thing. I do abdominal workouts in the car while I'm driving to work. Tighten your ab muscles and hold for 10 sec, then rest for 10 sec. Repeat 10 times or so. I do them until my abs are sore. No gym visit required!

If you want to do aerobics at home, Leslie Sansone has a program called "Walk Away the Pounds." you do walking in place, sides steps, knee lifts etc. and at the end of a session you have done the equivalent of a 1,2, or 3 mile walk. They are very easy to do, and y there are even hand weights (balls) that you can use while "walking."

I just bought a DVD with all 4 "walks" on it. I had the weights from buying the VCR tapes on QVC years ago, but I'm sure she has a website where you could get them now.

You can start with the one-mile walk and work your way up; plus you can do the longer or shorter walks depending on how much time you have.

Good luck, whatever you decide to do!