Discoloration in a Fiberglass Bathtub

The floor of my fiberglass tub has turned a yellowish color and I have tried almost everything. What will make it white again?

Nancy from Tallahassee

Answers:

Discoloration in a Fiberglass Bathtub

Water here is orange to black and for years I thought I'd be stuck with the discoloration. Out of desperation I tried 'The Works Disinfectant Toilet Bowl Cleaner' on the fiberglass tub. Its label states "Removes Rust, Lime Scale and Hard Water Stains". It was applied several times and even left on overnight. It does work; costs $1-1.50, depending on which store it's offered. Another thing that works is pumice stone even on a stain caused by oil of wintergreen. Amazingly, pumice does not scratch the surface. (08/29/2007)

By gator10tx

Discoloration in a Fiberglass Bathtub

Don Aslett's Showers 'n Stuff. Takes all the film, discoloration, etc. off of fiberglass. It's the only thing that's ever worked for me. (08/30/2007)

By Marna

Discoloration in a Fiberglass Bathtub

Spic & Span does work nicely & smells like soap. Pets won't go near it. Trisodium Phosphate is good too. I don't know if either would fix the tub but worth a try. (08/31/2007)

By Linne Dodds

Discoloration in a Fiberglass Bathtub

I swear I read on here that hydrogen peroxide will do the trick. I have the same problem from a skylight. That's what I'm going to try. (08/31/2007)

By Sandy

Discoloration in a Fiberglass Bathtub

I just found that Dawn Power Disolver, found in your dish soap aisle in a blue spray bottle, works great. You spray this on wait 10-15 minutes then just simply go wipe it off. Use a scrub brush if it has been discolored for a long period of time. We just moved into our home and the bathtub was almost an orange color, today it is back to it's original color and I have only worked on it for about 1/2 an hour with the Dawn Power Disolver! (01/16/2008)

By Roeshell

Discoloration in a Fiberglass Bathtub

My fiberglass tub has the same discoloration. It is not like a stain that can be removed with any cleaning product. It is also not from the sun because I have no window in this bathroom. It is not soap scum, mold or mildew. It is not an old tub. It has simply changed color and unfortunately I would have to replace it to fix the problem. I believe it is the brand of bathtub that does this because the neighbors bathtubs are the same as ours. Homes were built by the same builder so he probably got a deal on buying several bathtubs. Too bad the bathtub doesn't have a brand name on it so I could avoid that brand in the future. (03/10/2008)

By Barb

Discoloration in a Fiberglass Bathtub
Porcelain bathtub.
Removing Paint from a Porcelain Bathtub
Photo of decals stuck to the bottom of a bathtub.
Removing Bathtub Decals
Cleaning a Fiberglass Boat
Cleaning a Fiberglass Boat
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Remove Soap Scum from Fiberglass
🎉
🎄