Discoloration on the Sides of a Fiberglass Bathtub

When I built my home 15 years ago I thought I would save myself a lot of cleaning by installing a one-piece, white fiberglass surround bathtub and shower combination. But now there is a discoloration around the sides about 4 inches above the floor of the tub. It makes my bathtub always look like it has a scummy "bathtub ring" around it and I rarely even bathe. I usually take showers and when I bathe I fill the tub completely full. I hate the way it looks. I have tried removing it with bleach, soft scrub and 409. The "ring" is still there. Anyone else have this problem and have you found a solution?

Emma from Eastern Oklahoma

Answers:

I don't have that problem, but I have found the product called Barkeeper's Friend to remove lots of "stuff" from bathroom fixtures. Quite inexpensive. You might want to give it a try. (11/08/2005)

By Mary A

Try Krud Kutter [at Lowe's or Home Depot] at $5.79 a spray bottle. My tub now looks new, as does the siding on my home [removed mold/mildew] my s/s kitchen sink, tile floor etc. It is non toxic and has very little odor to it. One of the best cleaners on the market! JoanDogs (11/08/2005)

By Joandogsxxx

There is a great product on the market called "Bar Keeper's Friend." I highly recommend it! We had hard water stains on the bottom of our tub and it is the only thing that would remove them. Good luck! (11/08/2005)

By Robin

Have you tried Magic Eraser yet? Works great on bath tub rings. (11/09/2005)

By kelly

If the other more gentle remedies don't work, try Goof Off. It is sold in small cans around 8 oz. up to gallons. Check the home center stores. (11/09/2005)

By kidsNclutter

Discoloration in a Fiberglass Bathtub
Porcelain bathtub.
Removing Paint from a Porcelain Bathtub
Photo of decals stuck to the bottom of a bathtub.
Removing Bathtub Decals
Cleaning a Fiberglass Boat
Cleaning a Fiberglass Boat
Homemade Softscrub Cleaner Recipe, Photo of cleaning bucket and supplies.
Remove Soap Scum from Fiberglass
🎄