Disguising a Utility Pole

In an attempt to hide a telephone pole in our front yard, or at least draw attention away from the pole, I designed this area to have different textures and focal points. Big stones, mulch, tall shrub, wide bush and a variety of flowers that will bloom at different times in spring and summer. I have added decorative small rocks around the Yucca plants (not shown in this picture). Only took one day to put together.

By CalaLily from Alexandria, VA

Answers:

Disguising a Telephone Pole

Good strategy, to work around what you can't change by making a distraction, emphasizing something else. Yucca plants turn heads every time. (11/08/2007)

By kimhis

Disguising a Telephone Pole

I know telephones poles can be unsightly, but remember that eventually a telephone repair person will have to climb that pole for one reason or another. Not every repair person has a bucket truck and they may have to use a ladder. If your plants or decorative things are in the way of their safety they will have the right to remove them. (11/09/2007)

Disguising a Telephone Pole

My house sits on a corner lot, and I have a telephone pole on the corner of the lot. I have 2 kinds of clematis going up the pole and at the top I have a big English basket of annuals in the basket for the summer. It is a hit with everyone, they all look for it when it is hung at the end of May. The clematis is dark purple and a hot pink.

My husband is a retired system technician for the telephone company on high tech computers. He said that the men that would work on a pole would have a bucket truck. The chances of someone climbing a pole would be rare.
(11/09/2007)

By Lil

Disguising a Telephone Pole

My husband is a repairman for the phone company. He doesn't have a bucket truck, and neither does 1/3 of the rest of the garage he works out of. If your plants are in their way, they can remove them for safety's sake. If they feel something impedes their way and it's too dangerous, their other option is refusing the repair job.

Remember, the poles are the property of the utility companies. (11/09/2007)

Disguising a Telephone Pole

I don't want to be a party-pooper, so I'll just guess that different phone and utility companies have different requirements for their easements on private property. Where I am, the utility/phone/cable companies have a 10 - 15 foot easement under their wires and around their poles. Every few years they hire a tree-cutting service to trim everything in their easements, with no cost to the private owner. Under the wires, they allow bushes and plants that do not grow to the height of the wires. Around the poles they like to keep it clear. If the pole is in a public right-of-way adjacent to a road, plants more than 2 feet high are not allowed. Drivers have to be able to see. (11/10/2007)

By Jantoo

Disguising a Telephone Pole

Seriously, who is climbing poles these days? It wouldn't be safe to prop a ladder against the pole anyhow. Yes, they used to use spurs to climb poles but those are relics now. Nice job on the garden. (04/13/2008)

By Anonymous

Disguising a Telephone Pole

Does a 'telephone pole with lots of wires' put off radiation if it is at the edge of your property? What are negative health effects? (05/23/2008)

By Mary

Disguising a Utility Pole
White Low Flow Toilet
Saving Money on Your Sewer Bill
Cat Receiving Frugal Cat Treat
Frugal Cat Treats
Couple Trying to Find Utility Bill Assistance
Where to Find Utility Bill Assistance
Flag flying on a metal pole.
Making a Flag Pole
🎄