Dish Soap for Toilet Clogs

If your toilet is clogged and you can't find a plunger or a plumber; just squirt in some liquid dish detergent, wait 15 minutes, flush and it's on it's way.

By Marnita from Cumming, GA

Editor's Note: I would be careful with this one. If for some reason the dish detergent doesn't help break down the clog you could end up with an overflowing toilet. Might work for minor clogs.

Answers:

Dish Soap for Toilet Clogs

I did this once. I put in the right amount and everything, but had a floor full of suds and extra water everywhere, what a big mess this created. I just got an regular plunger and made sure the water level would cover the plunger cup. Use 20 forceful plunges, holding the plunger upright. And just repeat as needed.

I logged on to: www.doityourself.com/stry/unclogtoilet
It gave me a step by step instructions that worked great and no more messes. (08/09/2006)

By mobo

Dish Soap for Toilet Clogs

I don't know where I heard it about dish detergent first, but we were at the beach in our rented cottage, and my 9 year old clogged the toilet. I plunged first to no avail, then went and got the dish detergent. I put 2 squirts in, let it sit only about a minute (I'm not patient), and plunged again. Then I flushed, and the toilet was fine, couldn't believe it.

Next time, I would definitely remove some of the water first, because it did almost overflow (bubbles and all). But for minor clogs, I would recommend a little dish detergent before calling a plumber. (08/04/2007)

By catiejo66

Dish Soap for Toilet Clogs

I just poured some dish soap and hot water into a toilet that hasn't flushed right for a week. It's flushing more forcefully now. I hope it stays that way. (11/28/2007)

By Ed A.

Dish Soap for Toilet Clogs

I tried numerous attempts with boiling water and a little bit of Ajax dishwashing liquid and to no avail. So I ran out and bought some Dawn, squeezed a good portion of it into the toilet, added some boiling water and let it sit for about 30 minutes. When I flushed it was all gone. What a relief. This stuff works you guys are the best, thanks. Now my Saturday plans aren't ruined, yipee! (01/12/2008)

By Marisa

Dish Soap for Toilet Clogs

I tried the dish soap and my toilet backed up all over onto my floor. (04/28/2008)

By don't do this

Dish Soap for Toilet Clogs

This worked awesome for me today on a nasty clog. But you must be patient. No rushing, and absolutely no flushing until you are sure the clog is moving on. I used buckets of hot tap water, poured carefully into the toilet bowl, waited until the water receded and repeated until things had mostly cleared the bowl. Then I poured in soap, more hot water and gave it time. It eventually gurgled in submission and went down the drain, but I used the bucket several more times before I risked a flush.

If you don't want to use chemicals (I also have a septic tank), don't want to mess with nasty water, or just can't find your plunger, this is definitely the way to go. Just don't rush. (07/15/2008)

By Natalie from Rhode Island

Dish Soap for Toilet Clogs

Thank You. Worked for me, and I didn't have to go in there with a plunger or anything at all. To prevent an overflowing toilet I poured in the water (hot) with a bucket so I could control the amount. I only used the flusher when there weren't many bubbles left and when the water was right down at its normal level.
Great tip (11/24/2008)

By Englane

Dish Soap for Toilet Clogs

I'm so happy I could cry. For those of you who are having problems with getting suds all over your bathroom, turn the water to the toilet off first. Instead of flushing, pour hot tap water from a good height to drive the soap down to the clog, and don't overfill the toilet when you do this. Do not just flush the soap down, because that's how you get suds everywhere.

No matter how you unclog your toilet, always turn the water off while you do it, so you can control how much water enters the bowl with a bucket instead. (01/12/2009)