Dishwasher Won't Drain

My dishwasher water will not drain out. Does anyone know what I can do about this?

Elva from Shreveport, LA

Answers:

Dishwasher Won't Drain

Just had the same problem. After service man was here three times he discovered the pump was gone so decided to get a new dishwasher for the pump and labor was over half of a new dishwasher. He said that dishwashers are a disposable appliance nowadays. I don't know about all of you but our disposable society is nerve racking to say the least. (09/18/2008)

By Rasta

Dishwasher Won't Drain

When I have this problem, I put Drano down my sink drains and then I take the plunger to my sink, I have two drains so I have someone hold a plunger over one side while I plunge the other side and vise versa, it seems to work every time. (09/18/2008)

By Missi

Dishwasher Won't Drain

We had this problem about a week ago: 1. Did you use too much dish soap? May be too sudsy. Check your filters. Small but numerous particles of food clog those sensitive screens and slow or even stop the d/w from working right. Can the spinning blade (that squirt water) on the top and bottom spin freely? Even a small part of a wooden spoon or a glass that is just a little tall can also cause problems. Check your hoses (if it isn't a built in) make sure there isn't a clog there. Also go to your manufacturer's site and see if there is a trouble shooting section. Is your d/w new or old?

IMPORTANT: make sure you get a d/w cleaner (sold at most stores for a few dollars) and clean the d/w itself. You'll put the product in an empty d/w and run a normal cycle. It is suppose to clear out lines, hoses, and such to keep it running at optimum quality. You can also google the d/w's info. The model # should be somewhere on the door. I hope that you find the source of the problem. It bites not having a working d/w. Good luck. (09/18/2008)

By KLS8800

Dishwasher Won't Drain

I had the same problem also. I finally disconnected the back flow preventer under the sink that the dishwasher drains to and took it apart. There was a little piece of plastic that was clogging it. Still can't figure out where it came from. Must have been attached to something I had washed and it came off and made it as far as the back flow preventer and clogged it. Most back flows are above the sink. Mine happens to be underneath. (09/19/2008)

By souzos

Dishwasher Won't Drain

This will sound nonsensical, but if you have an overflow thing sitting up next to your kitchen faucet (the one that water will sometimes burble out of when the dishwasher is on), pull the cover off it by firmly pulling straight up, then take the structure inside apart with your fingers and see if there is hair or another clog in it. Reassemble and see if your d/w functions properly. When I had the same problem, I read this one online, realized I had nothing to lose, tried it, and the problem was solved. (09/19/2008)

By Katie A.

Dishwasher Won't Drain

I had the wrong terminology. It is an air gap overflow, not a back flow preventer. However, it does prevent back flow of contaminated water/sewage from entering your dishwasher. (09/19/2008)

By souzos

RE: Dishwasher Won't Drain

Dishwasher Won't Drain

Katie you are the best! I was so upset my dishwasher just wouldn't drain, I would do it manually every time and still have to hand wash most of my dishes. My water overflow thing on my sink was totally clogged. I unclogged it and water shot up almost hitting my ceiling. Thank You! (10/01/2008)

By jen

Dishwasher Won't Drain

Just had a problem with the Drain Air Gap (Air Gap Overflow). I thought it was clear, but serviceman pointed out debris under cap. To take mine apart, you have to pry cap off by lifting with a screwdriver. Not necessary to unscrew. (02/27/2009)

By somib

Dishwasher Won't Drain
Dishwasher
Dishwasher Won't Drain
Interior of a full dishwasher.
Removing Hard Water Stains Inside Dishwasher
Replacing a Dishwasher
Replacing a Dishwasher
An open dishwasher full of clean dishes.
Fixing a Leaking Dishwasher
🎄