Disposing of Bacon and Cooking Grease

I recycle my glass jars and tin cans. When it comes time to drain off grease from having fried bacon or other greasy food, it's hard for me to find a suitable way to dispose of it. This has proven to be a quick cleanup way to take care of the mess.

Line a heat tolerant bowl with aluminum foil. Pour the hot grease you've drained off into the lined bowl. When it has hardened, simply gather the edges of the foil and toss it into the garbage.

Source: Picked up this idea from a friend who is not only a good cook but also a clever one.

By Sandy from Elon, NC

Disposing of Bacon and Cooking Grease

I also recycle jars but I think it's reasonable to sacrifice one to hold bacon fat or used cooking oil. I use a glass jar and I keep it in the fridge till it's full, then it goes in the trash.

The foil method is ok for fat that hardens, but cooking oil needs a rigid container with a lid. (08/24/2009)

By OliveOyl

Disposing of Bacon and Cooking Grease

Granted, I don't eat a lot of bacon in my house, but if you're frying enough to eventually fill a glass jar with the fat, why throw it away. Why don't you use it. My mom would save hers in a crock and use it to fry other things.

Cook some popcorn in bacon drippings and you'll never go back to any other kind again. (08/24/2009)

By Corene

Disposing of Bacon and Cooking Grease

I do the same thing. I save all my jars, plastic too, with the lids. Then when I have oil or grease to dispose of, I just fill it up and throw it away.

I save little 2 oz jars too, they really come in handy for that little bit of oil. Since I don't fry much, I am guilt free about throwing away one or two on occasion. Sometimes you have leftovers that need throwing away too and may have more liquid than you want to put in the garbage. Just put them in one of these jars and throw them away.

I don't have a garbage disposal so this is the way I dispose of them. Keeps ants and animals away from my garbage can since they can't smell it in the jars.

I save those large juice containers for the times when I use my deep fryer for fish. I don't save fish oil so you have a lot of oil there. But one of the large juice containers works great. I use a funnel sometime to put in in the jar or just pour it into a measuring cup with a spout and that makes it easier to then pour it into the juice container. (08/26/2009)

By eveh

Disposing of Bacon and Cooking Grease

I put some of my bacon grease in my dog's dried dog food. (08/29/2009)

By darlooney

Disposing of Bacon and Cooking Grease

Why dispose of your bacon grease? I keep ours and use it to make Roux. Then use this to thicken soups, stews and gravies (09/13/2009)

By DNS Video

Disposing of Bacon and Cooking Grease

I use my g-spout to strain and then pour with no mess either my bacon grease into a old can with lid or for my old cooking oil I use my g-spout to pour it into a closed container and then I drop it off at my local Whole Foods where they in turn turn it into bio-diesel for their fleet. Never ever pour grease or oil down the sink, it is really bad for your sewer and county pipes as well as the environment. (10/05/2009)

By kim145

pan for oil frying
Disposing of Cooking Oil and Grease
Cooking bacon in microwave.
Cooking Bacon in the Microwave
bacon in a package
Freezing Bacon
cleaning grease off wallpaper
Cleaning Grease Off Wallpaper
Old Paint Can
Disposing of Old Paint