Dodge Dakota Heater Not Working

Category Cars
Controls on dash.
It is maddening to get into your car or truck on a cold day to find that the heater is not working. Check out this guide for some troubleshooting ideas when your Dodge Dakota heater isn't working.

I am having heating problems with my '99 Dodge Dakota.

By Manuel from NJ

Answers

Maybe you need a new heater core.

Need to backwards flush two small lines going to the water pump..these go to heater core and get clogged due to low pressure to currculate off pump...

My 2006 Dodge Dakota heater/conditioner makes a fast clicking sound when I change from floor to defrost, etc.

By DMcK

Heater door actuator is stripped or just noisy.

I recently changed out my heater core because it was leaking. I purchased an after market part which turned out to be slightly smaller than the original. After putting everything back together I didn't get the same heat as before. If I sit parked I get heat, but once I drive down the road, it cools off. Someone told me if I put it on max ac, it will recirculate the cab air, and then it works decently. If I switch it to defrost or any other setting, it starts to cool down. It's as if I have too much air coming in and bypassing the core. The gauge on the dash says the temp is good and I have done everything possible to trouble shoot this (thermostat, bleed the coolant line, etc.). I also have a draft coming from the passenger side under the dash. What am I missing? I had plenty of heat before this all took place.

By Kent R

I have a 1995 Chevy Silverado k1500 and I have the same problem. If you have fixed yours please post the issue. I also have had my hand on the heater core when hot then turned on the fan to blow hot air and half the core will be ice cold while the other side of core is hot. This is with the brand new core put in.

cale

I have a 1997 Dodge Dakota extended cab, 5 speed. The heater and air conditioning unit isn't blowing cool or warm air into the cab. It doesn't seem like the blower is working. Any advice on fixing it would be appreciated.

By George from Franklin, PA

Check the fuses.

I have a Dodge Dakota truck 2006 and it will not blow out heat.

The heater in my '97 Dodge Dakota only blows cold air. After running for about 30 minutes it starts to blow lukewarm air.

By Wiggles

I have a 2003 Dodge Dakota; the heat only comes out when I'm accelerating.

By George

Heat is stuck on high.

By Mike

The heater in my 95 Dodge Dakota does not blow hot air. I can hear it switch from hot to cold and the blower and compressor are both working so what else could it be?

By Debra from Houston

The air conditioner works, but heater does not. Any help?

By Francisco

The heat on my 2001 Dodge Dakota only works on the third setting half the time, but you have to giggle the key. All my fluids are fine, but I'm not sure what else it could be. Help?

By Ashley

My '98 Dodge Dakota's heater will not put out any heat. I have changed the thermostat twice, changed the water pump, changed the radiator, and run water through the heater core. The truck only gets up to 170 to 180 degrees. Is there a censor or fuse or something that I am missing? Please let me know if you have any ideas.

Chuck from Winchester, VA

Answers:

Dodge Dakota's Heater Not Working

My DH said maybe the heater door isn't opening, or there could be an air bubble in the line. He said you may have to rev it to get air bubble out. He had to do this to his Bravada to get it working again. He also suggests going on to dodgeforum.com and ask people there, they are helpful with all kinds of things. He visits that site daily. (10/22/2008)

By jmz2005

Dodge Dakota's Heater Not Working

Have you checked the blender under the dash? It may not be opening all the way or closing partially blocking heat disbursement. According to my source this is a somewhat common Dakota problem. (10/22/2008)

By mothermarytea

Dodge Dakota's Heater Not Working

Check with your library. They may have access to an online auto repair database that you can use for free. I know of a lot of people who've done this will great success. (10/22/2008)

By Guest

Dodge Dakota's Heater Not Working

I also have a Dakota, mine is an 87. Have you checked the fuse box? It could also be that the heater coil is bad. Check with the guys at you local parts store they will help you with it if you just ask. But do it when they are not really busy so they can spend time with you. (10/25/2008)

By Travis in OH

Dodge Dakota's Heater Not Working

This is an extremely common problem in Dakotas. The heater core is plugged. A conventional radiator/engine flush treatment does nothing because it does not actually back flush the heater core. You can do it yourself quite easily. Disconnect both ends and make sure you "back flush" it with a garden hose. You'll like get a ton of globby crud out of it. Reconnect hoses, refill system, and enjoy the heat! (11/17/2008)

By Greg G.

Dodge Dakota's Heater Not Working

Make sure you have plenty of coolant or antifreeze. (12/15/2008)

By mom-from-missouri

Dodge Dakota's Heater Not Working

I experienced no heat in my wife's 1999 Dodge Dakota. What I did was reverse flush the heater core. I went to a car wash for water pressure, disconnected the top or exit hose from the heater core, disconnected the hose from the stem on the water pump and put the pressure hose from the car wash into the top of the heater core. I did this for about three minutes making sure clear water was coming from the water pump hose. Since then, heat! Try this before having the core replaced. Also, make sure enough antifreeze is in and you will be OK. (11/28/2010)

By docturj