Does My Other Dog Have Parvo Too?

I recently lost my puppy my Daisy. She was fine Friday and by Sunday night she passed. We tried Gatoraid to keep her hydrated in case it was Parvo. Nothing worked. Well we have 2 other dogs one is 11 months, named Irish, and the other is Jasmine, she is 6 yrs old and she has had all her shots. Irish just got his. So is it to late for him? Will he get Parvo?

Today he hasn't eaten and did throw up his food this morning. He has only had dry heaves since then. I gave him Pedialyte and made him broth, but he won't eat it. I did give him an antibiotic amoxicillin. I'm afraid to got to sleep. Any suggestions? Can we really pull him out of this? I can't even imagine losing 2 dogs. Help!

Claudia from South Bend, IN

Answers:

Does My Other Dog Have Parvo Too?

I am not a vet but have quite a few years experience as a vet tech. Parvo is a fast acting virus and your best chance of your dog surviving (if he does have parvo) is to take him to the vet now. I have seen a lot of dogs survive this virus when they got immediate attention. The sooner your dog is started on IV fluids the better chance he has. If it is parvo and he is not given treatment soon, chances are he won't make it.

Parvo is a virus so antibiotics will not help. Pet vaccines are like human vaccines; they are very effective, but not 100%. I know this sounds gross, but sometimes you can tell if it is parvo by the smell. Often, there is blood mixed in with the vomit and/or diarrhea and it has a very strong smell, much worse than what it would normally smell.

I don't mean to scare you (well, maybe I do), but please don't take chances. Please take him to your vet, that is the "only" way to find out if it is parvo or not. (07/24/2008)

By Regina

Does My Other Dog Have Parvo Too?

Get a syringe and give him fluids with it. Get him to the vet. I had 5 pups get it one by one. They were 6 months and 9 months. I also have 6 adults who didn't get it. Isolate your puppy, and start cleaning with bleach, everything inside and outside. Keep your puppy warm also. Good luck. (12/31/2010)

By lonestarlady550

Does My Other Dog Have Parvo Too?

I also gave mine Karo syrup, dehydration and low blood sugar is why they die, you have to act fast. Good luck. (12/31/2010)

By lonestarlady550

Does My Other Dog Have Parvo Too?
dog with parvo
Information About Parvo
A dog being seen by a veterinarian.
Can a Dog Get Parvo Again?
Puppy Running in Yard
Getting Rid of Parvo Virus in the Yard and Home
Puppy Smelling Flower
Getting a Puppy After Losing One to Parvo
🎄
🍂