Does Neutering a Dog Reduce Aggression?

Many pet owners look to neutering their dog as a way to reduce aggression. It may help to some extent, but it is not a cure for aggressive behavior. This is a guide about, "Does neutering a dog reduce aggression?".

I have a male 2 year old Pit Bull and I recently got two Pit Bull puppies (male and female). My 2 year old has been attacking them and won't let them near us. I've heard neutering animals makes them less aggressive. Is this true? Is there any other suggestions I can try? I need all of them to get along, but my two year old won't give them a chance.
Please help!

Best Answer

Neutering will reduce aggressive behavior caused by a dog's sex drive. If two males are fighting over a female dog and one gets neutered, the neutered dog won't fight. If the aggressiveness is because of something else,neutering won't help.

Best Answer

It might help. Neutering the dog lowers the testosterone levels. Dogs and other mammals with lower testosterone levels tend to be calmer and less aggressive.

It might. Have you discussed it with your vet yet? As a pit owner, I am sure you have heard all the stories about pits being an aggressive breed.

My daughter has a 2 yr. old Pit bull. If she has him neutered now will it calm him down any? He is beginning to show some aggression.

Judy from Leighton, Al

Best Answer

Neutering almost always calms them down, I don't believe it's ever caused a male to become more aggressive. It decreases the amount of testosterone in the animal's body, and that chemical is responsible for aggression. It will take a while after he is neutered to become calmer, maybe a month or so, so don't wait!

Best Answer

My husband is a vet and he tells people the only thing a neuter ALWAYS does is keep them from making babies! It does sometimes calm them down but you shouldn't count too much on it.

Best Answer

I neutered my dogs at five months old in the hopes it would calm them down and it did not. I've been managing them for ten years now and wish I had invested more time in strenuous training instead of depending on the neuter to do the job. We all would have been happier. Train, train, train!

Best Answer

I would never, never force a pet to go through life unaltered unless I was a top breeder, it is not fair to them. You will have a much happier companion pet with neutering and spaying.

Aggression is one of the dangers of some un-neutered breeds, but I would suggest, in addition to neutering, to have a talk with the vet and a trainer.

Best Answer

Neuter the dog regardless of whether he will calm down. With the growing number of Pits (and dogs in general) in shelters (most of whom are destroyed), it's simply the responsible thing to do. If you cannot afford to get him neutered through your vet, there are less expensive "clinics" (or call your local Humane Society, SPCA, or local rescue group to see if they will do it for a nominal fee).

I have a bluenose pit bull that is not neutered yet. He's been is training class for the basic commands, but he seems run crazy sometime around the yard. He loves to jump when he see me. When we go on walks. We walk by house all dogs on the street just go crazy barking. Is this a sign that my dog is giving off a scent for other male dogs and female dogs. Is this a sign that my dog is going into heat.

Well if the dog is showing some aggression, it wont hurt to neuter him, but neutering him won't stop the actions that he has already learned. It will AID lessen (not delete) the aggression.

I have 2 male pits 1 year and 1 year 3 months. i got them last year and quickly have recently learned that i should not have gotten the same sex for there to be more peace. I am lucky that my younger pit is very passive and more playful than anything and the older one is just dominant to the core, and somewhat of a bully to his brother.

I neutered only the older one (Ricco) since he was the more dominant one and was beating up on his brother (Ace Boogie) a little too much and at first I didn't see any change, but now i do see that the over dominance has calmed down, but it may also be that Ace Boogie is now way bigger than Ricco and his size is controlling the matter, because in the past 3 weeks they have gotten into more than just a little fight, with blood spilling from Ace Boogie's and Riccos ear the first time and the second time Ricco coming out with bite wounds, so I think I have no choice but to neuter Ace Boogie soon.

In reference to Demita P's post I had to take my dogs to obedience class for 8 weeks at Petsmart and was happy i did so. i could not control them when I tried taking them for walks so i stopped and of course, they were so hyper. with guidance i bought one harness (with much hesitation because it was $30!) and I saw immediate results with the pulling.

It worked so well that I bought another one, but just got a harness/seatbelt which was cheaper($20) than the regular harness and does the same job When you are walking them and they go crazy at a dog immediately turn back and go the other way, once they have calmed down turn around and continue on your walk. Pits are very smart and yes it takes patience, they will get the point and at least calm down a little more. Hope I was of some help

Pits are my favorite breed and I have raised them for years, but blaming every incidence of violence on the owner is ignorant. We have trained ours to be nothing but sweet, but when he sees other dogs or when he is riding in the car or in the yard he is very very protective. He also spent most of his puppy hood playing well with other dogs, by about 10 months he became very dog aggressive and is no longer friendly toward any dog. We have been to training classes and they don't help either.

male dogs do not go into heat. all dogs bark at other dogs that r out for a walk its their way of talking

I'm glad I seen this !! Our pit is beginning to become more aggressive to sense the grandbabies have moved here with us!! We have been talking about getting rid of him but we hate to so think between the remote control shock collar an getting him fixed may help lol I hope so ! Good luck with yours to!

Will neutering my 4 year old extremely aggressive male toy Poodle stop him from being aggressive toward me and my family? He is sweet one moment, letting me pet him on my lap and the next moment he is stiff, growling and snapping at me.

By Tammy

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

Sounds like he is hurting somewhere. Yes, it is a very good idea to neuter. He will be healthier in the long run and hormones will stabilize. It will take a while to see if hormones could be the problem but spay and neuter is always healthier.

I had the same problem with a 6 year old male chihuahua I rescued. I couldn't touch him anywhere and needed to put a towel over him to pick him up and also when putting him down had to face him away from me and let him go quick and get my hands out of the way before he bit me. He was just a seething mess of aggression I had him castrated and it took about 4 months before he settled down and gradually he came to respond to me but it took about 18 months.

Now he is very affectionate and instigates the play and cuddles. I was at my wits end with him but I'm glad I perservered. I don't know if there is a medical explanation for it but it certainly worked in his case. Good Luck!

You need to talk to your Veterinarian because there could be a number of factors that are bothering him. Is there any reason why he was not castrated at a much earlier age? Good luck.