Dog Breeding

Dog Breeding
Dog breeding is an age old practice of mating specific dogs to maintain or produce certain characteristics, such as appearance and personality. It can be used to eliminate negative health issues, as well. New breeds are an additional result of selective breeding. This is a guide about dog breeding.

I have a four-old-year old Boston Terrier, Bella. She is the love of our lives, right along with her four side kicks, Lucy, Delilah, Rachel, and Bo. We first bred Bella when she was two years old, she had eight beautiful puppies, all healthy and she raised them all. We bred her again last March, she had nine beautiful pups, all healthy, and she raised all of them.

She has never had any problems. We want to breed a her a couple of more times because she does have such large, healthy litters. Only I'm not sure how close together to let her have them before we have her spayed.

Do you have any suggestions? I don't want to turn her into a breeding machine. And I'm not sure it's healthy to breed her back to back.

Since you're asking opinions, I'll give you one. You've done enough. WHY bring more puppies into the world when it's already over run with unwanted animals? I know her puppies are the best and special and sooo sweet but I'm sure all the other puppies in the world are, too. If you absolutly MUST breed her wait at least a year or more. She's pregnant 2 months and nursing 2 months. Give her a rest of another 12 months

How about instead of contributing to the over population of canines, spay her and STOP it now. It's not fair to her to put her through it for your own pleasure/ignorance.

I agree with the previous posts. Please have your dog spayed and do not add to the population of dogs in this world. If you do not agree with this idea, just log onto a site called Petfinders.com and look at the hundreds and hundreds of unwanted dogs in this country. Or visit a local shelter and have a look at all the dogs in cages. Think about it.

First of all I did not post this subject matter to offend anyone's sensibilities. I am not ignorant. I do not run a puppy mill. I will not limit my enjoyment in life because of the behavior of people that do not care for their pets.

My dogs are not bred indiscriminately. My dogs are under a vet's care and they are all registered, right along with all the pups. I enjoy my dogs and I do not feel like I am putting them 'through anything' it's a normal process for life to reproduce.

I am licensed and my dogs are kept at the house, where they interact with the family. They are not kept in small cages and such.Also I do not mix the breed with another breed and produce a hybrid. I keep the line pure. What I wanted was the expertise of people that deal with dogs, not my integrity brought into question or raked over the coals.

I am sure you love and care for your dogs, but take a moment and think about the MILLIONS of animals that are put to sleep every year in this country because no one wants them. Your dog has had two great litters. Might be time to call it quits. If you have love and space for more dogs, please adopt one from a shelter. That would be the best idea of all! Would you consider it?

You can breed your dog safely and without putting her through too much strain by only breeding her once a year and only until she's 6 or 7 depending on her health. When she's pregnant, feed her puppy food all the way until the puppies are weaned. This is what my vet told me. Breeding a dog is natural.

i cant help but encourage you to leave the breeding to the pros. many people think their dogs have the best nature etc. but there are just to many dogs out there. i am not saying you dont care about your dogs. i love my baby. but she was an unwanted dog i got from the spca. there are to many dogs out there now. why enter more

Don't listen the the people who just feel they need to add their 2 cents. As long as a dog isn't be breed back to back.

I personally wouldn't breed every year, so just so the mama has some recovery time. Good luck

I was so sorry to read that some people cannot tell the difference between knowledgable advice and an emotional opinion. What the writer asked for was knowledgable advice, NOT, YOUR EMOTIONAL OPINIONS. I have had dogs for years, and have bred a few, but have usually chosen to keep them for pets and thus have had them spayed asap. Medically speaking, the safest thing for your dog is to wait at least one year between each breeding. That is the rule of thumb as long as her pregnancy was without complications. We need to get over the idea that we are supposed to be the voice of everyones conscience. This poor lady was brow beaten by people who do not know her as a person, nor do they know all of the details of the situation. A bit more compassion, and less egotistical judgmental behavior would make the world a lot nicer place for everyone. As my Mom used to say , "sweep around your own back door before talking about the dirt around someone elses".

How is this question a Thrifty related question unless you are trying to make money from breeding dogs. Unless you consider the free advice as being "thrifty" which in this case is a big mistake since you really need to research and get expert advice instead of anonymous responses from strangers who may or may not be qualified to answer your question.

Good gracious, I had no idea I would annoy people with this question.

For those of you that gave me your opinions on how often you would breed and why, I want to thank-you.

I have done a lot of research, talked to my vet and other vets. It's amazing how you can get so many different ideas on breeding dogs. That is why I wanted the opinion of a larger audience.

As for the person that replied about making money. I am not here to solicit my dogs. There are plenty of places to do that and here is not one of them.

I want to talk to normal people with constructive thoughts and ideas on things, not a question of my morals and what not.

For those of you I have offended or ruffled your tail feathers, my apologies.

Dogs and cats who are spayed and neutered have less chances of cancer. My husband and I have dedicated ourselves to helping animals and own many animals. Including two cats of which I picked up right before they were about to be killed. I think you need to think very hard about this.

Here's a good link about it:

http://www.bost  ica.org/faq.html

Scroll down and they have some information about breeding.

I have volunteered at animal shelters over the years. Millions of healthy, beautiful dogs, cats, puppies & kittens are put to sleep each year due to the habitual lack of permanent, responsible homes. Please reconsider breeding your pet. I can understand if your dog's breed were on the verge of extinction that you might want to breed her but I agree with the other posters that there are just too many unwanted pets in this country already alive and fighting for their lives while searching for a home. I wish the government could impose a ban on breeding pets while this country gets its huge pet overpopulation problem under control.

Friends of Animals (Nationwide Program) - (800) 321-7387

http://www.frie  aying/cover.html

Female Cat - $65 / Female Dog - $90

Male Cat - $51 / Male Dog - $64

Or call your local animal shelter, humane society or animal control facility for low cost & free programs in your area.

Hi Susan,

I do not think anyone is meaning to offend you. I know I'm not meaning to myself. But I do understand what they are saying (albeit a bit harsh).

If you take a look at websites like kijiji.com, you will see just how many unwanted pets there are floating around. Most of them talk about bringing their animal in to get killed just because they cannot house or care for it anymore.

I understand you are a licensed breeder, so all I am encouraging (like I do with every breeder I meet) is to tell them to please consider the cons and pros, and maybe make this years litter the last. I know it is only one dog, one person, but every little bit counts.

I know it just breaks my heart every time I go to the SPCA and have to see how much overcrowding there is, and I only live in a small town.

It's possible that several of your sweet pups will probably end up in someones puppy mill raising puppies and being abused all their lives. It happens all the time to well know breeders that make every effort to keep track of there dogs and prevent it from happening.

Do you have a contract with whoever you sell your pups to that in the event that they no longer want them or can care for them that you will get them back. Are they micro chipped, Is there a spay neuter contract so that they won't continue to make more unwanted dogs in shelters.

Responsible breeders use these tools to help keep the population under control. The only dogs they sell without a spay neuter contract or better yet have them done themselves at a young ages, are the ones that they feel strongly will make show dogs and even then they are very picky about who they sell them too.

Just remember every time you look at those little darlings that some of your next litter may end up disposed of or abused.

Is dog breeding cruel?

By Lucysplash

My dog is 3/4 min pin and 1/4 chihuahua. If I breed her with a full bred chihuahua will her puppies be considered a min pin chihuahua mix, or mutts?

By Kakors from Richland, WA

I am thinking about mating my Bernese Mountain Dog. Should I mate with a Bernese or a Great Pyrenees?

By ldoyle8605 from IL

Answers:

Cross Breeding Dogs

In my opinion, I think that you shouldn't mate at all. Keep in mind that if you mate, that you will have to sell or give all the puppies that you don't want away. And with the economy as bad as it is, most people won't buy. Many shelters are full now because people can't take care of their animals, just keep that in mind. (07/28/2009)

By lmn95

Cross Breeding Dogs

So true. My husband & I breed pedigree GSD's and GR's but we also do private rescue work (on a very minor scale), usually about 12 - 18 dogs a year. By the end of June this year we had re homed more than 24 dogs and still had 5 in our kennels looking for homes! If you must breed your dog never, never crossbreed. Contrary to popular belief it is NOT good for your dog to have puppies. Do you know how many things can go wrong?

Oh and by the way, we have also suspended our breeding program. Love your dog for what she is - your friend and companion. (07/28/2009)

By mommabruv

Cross Breeding Dogs

I wish that the government would step in and make it against the law (with a huge fine and long prison sentence) for anyone to breed animals without a license. And that license should be next to impossible to get. Potential breeders should have to prove their intent to breed to better the breed and not just for the sake of getting some "cute little puppies to make some cash off of". And cross breeding should carry an even higher penalty. (07/28/2009)

By Cricketnc

Cross Breeding Dogs

Many people still believe that old tale that a female should have one litter of pups. Not only is that actually detrimental to her health (she has a much higher risk of mammary cancer if she has pups), but it lessens the chance of a rescue dog being adopted. Another homeless dog will be euthanized instead; there are simply more dogs and cats in the world than there are homes. Why bring unwanted animals into the world deliberately? Please spay your dog instead.

Oh, and on the subject of thriftiness, check out vet costs in order to responsibly breed. It is not a money-making enterprise! One sick pup at the vet's for two days just cost our rescue $1000. Then there are health checks, vaccinations, etc.

Sincerely, Janet, an animal-rescue volunteer (07/29/2009)

By MotherOfTwelveCats

Cross Breeding Dogs

Think about it first; the great Pyrenees is a giant breed. The Bernese is cute and large, many similarities between the two, however, have you thought of the health risks? The Bernese dog and Great Pyr have similar health issues, osteosarcoma being one. Separately these are healthy dogs, as someone said, what about the puppies? They need to know about the breeds, and will see these cute little dogs, you think temperamentally sweet, but in cross breeding you never are sure. Please reconsider and stay with breeding the Bernese with the Bernese, if you have ever been to a shelter and seen a great pyr, you will know why..or any canine for that matter. (07/29/2009)

By Anne Winston

Cross Breeding Dogs

Please take the advice of those that have cared enough to respond back to you and don't breed your dog, or before you do just go to your local animal shelter and walk through and then ask them when they will put to sleep the animals. It is heart breaking to see. Our local animal shelter puts them down once a week. The animals never really have a chance once they go in. Please be responsible and just think about it before you do it. (07/29/2009)

By cats4me

Cross Breeding Dogs

I think it would be better to keep them pure bred. Hybrids are in a way mutts. They are also more valuable pure bred. Pure bred dogs are much less likely to end up in a shelter, their monetary value often saves their lives. (07/29/2009)

By Lily May

Cross Breeding Dogs

I am a huge animal lover and a foster mom for a local shelter, and I absolutely adore both BMDs & GPs, but please do not breed your dog for any reason! Any pup you create is like putting another to death. There are far too many wonderful animals put down every day in the country, just because there are not enough good homes. I know for a fact, that one county in my state of FL, euthanized over 130,000 (YES, you read that right), in a 10 year period. Multiply that times 67 the # of counties in our state, then by 50 for entire country. We have got to figure out a better way to take care of God's creatures, and it starts w/spaying and neutering all pets. =^.^= KeGoS!yo (07/29/2009)

By MissmyHannah

Cross Breeding Dogs

Please don't breed your dog. Even if you find good homes for all of the puppies, that means that those homes will not be available for dogs who may be put to death without them. (07/29/2009)

By amhappy

Cross Breeding Dogs

If you love Bernese Mountain Dogs please please do not breed your female. I know the lure of seeing the adorable puppies is strong. Before you decide to breed look online at your breed rescue groups. Most have heart breaking stories and the dogs are innocent victims. Better to become a foster home for your favorite breed. Please be a life saver not a life ender. (07/29/2009)

By merlene

Cross Breeding Dogs

Don't breed your dog. Shelters are overflowing with every type of dog there is. I work with lots of rescue groups and it is heartbreaking that all these dogs are dying because there are too many being taken to shelters. (07/30/2009)

By sharonott1

Cross Breeding Dogs

I agree. Unless you are a breeder, please do not breed your dog. Good breeders breed out health problems and you don't know what you will end up with or someone else who buys the pup will end up with. It's just not fair to the puppies. I have a chihuahua who was rescued from a puppy mill at a very very young age. She has had 2 knee surgeries due to bad breeding. She's not a well dog. (08/07/2009)

By lorraina