Dog Clothes Don't Fit Well

I have a large, 100 lb., Boxer that I have purchased and made shirts for. No matter which I put on him they won't stay in place, they tend to slide down his back and the neck gets stretched out. What am I doing wrong?

Anonymous

could you possibly put a bit of elastic near the collar?

I live near Gainesville, Florida and my family all tend to be big Gator (University of Florida) fans.

Seeing your post reminded me that I recently saw another Gator fan walking his large dog and his dog was appropriately dressed in a large Gator t-shirt.

The gentleman told me that he does not buy clothes for his dog (he said they never fit) but just saves his older t-shirts and so his dog has a "designer" wardrobe.

Not sure this would work with your dog but it seems the t-shirt material would be comfortable.

thank you, and yes, he has a lot of shirts from tshirts I have made him. The problem I have is determining what I need to adjust to keep them from creeping down his back and stretching the neck out. I put shirts on him mainly to contain most of his shedding, but haven't found a solution for this problem yet. Thanks again!

Be sure to take them back to the store and get a refund or exchange because you do not want to mess up dog circulation and it also can irritate the dog skin.

Sometimes improving the diet can help with shedding; certainly constant grooming does. A diet rich in fat will help, also fatty acids in cod-liver oil and other unrefined vegetable oils. I'd also try an egg beaten in milk twice a week, and check his current dog-food. he may be reacting to it. Raw meat should be part of his weekly diet too. Does he get enough exercise outdoors? All these measures should make for a healthy happy dog with a richly shining coat which sheds only as much as can be dealt with in normal grooming.

Dogs' needs are different from humans' needs. Perhaps the clothes are exacerbating the problem.