Dog Eating Its Own Feces

I have a 5 year old Cocker Spaniel who was used for breeding, the owner no longer wants her. I have found, after 1 week with us, that she eats, at every opportunity, her own stools. Does anyone know how to stop her?

By Barbara A. from Chesterfield, England

Answers:

Dog Eating Its Own Feces

Here is the link I promised and I would add a benadryl caplet to help it calm down and start giving one or two fish oil pills each day; good for skin and also good for health. Put a little apple cider vinegar on its coat, maybe a teaspoonful every so often and he will lick it off. Here are Drs Foster and Smith and their product to add to the dogs food:

www.drsfostersmith.com

Also if one benadryl doesn't calm her down, look on the internet for dosage of benadryl for dogs. I give my Shepherd two benadryls at the vets advice. He has a skin problem and the fish oil and benadryl has helped so much.

Blessings, Robyn (07/08/2009)

By Robyn Fed

Dog Eating Its Own Feces

Feed your dog pineapple. They don't like the taste on the other end. (07/09/2009)

By jclaridge

Dog Eating Its Own Feces

Just a word of caution, dog's can be allergic to pineapple. A friend gave some to her dog and the dog's head swelled and she had an allergic reaction and she had to bring the to the vet. It doesn't seem very common, but its something to think about. (07/09/2009)

By ~Sasha~

Dog Eating Its Own Feces

My dog ate his own feces because he was very sick. Have you seen a vet? Also I have heard of them eating poop from boredom, just like chewing rocks. Good luck. (07/09/2009)

By Starchild in VT

Dog Eating Its Own Feces

My dog eats the cat feces out of the litter box. Anyways I was watching Animal Planet and they say it is something in their diet that they are lacking, but there is some over the counter stuff they sell at pet stores. I bought mine at Pet Smart it is a pill you give them once a day it is supposed to be habit breaking. It is Excel Deter Coprophagous treatment it says it's a behavioral aid. I give it to the dog for a while then stop she stops eating it for a couple months then starts up again. I might give her 1 pill every couple of months or so. (07/10/2009)

By sleepy824

Dog Eating Its Own Feces

My chocolate lab started doing this mid-life. I talked to her vet about it. There is a powder that I sprinkled on her food for about a week and it was the end of it. I can't imagine poop tasting good in the first place, but the vet said with this stuff, it will taste really bad to her. If your pet likes to eat your cat's poop, then you feed it to the cat. Won't help with neighborhood animals droppings or wildlife. I'm sorry I can't remember the name of it, but any vet will know.

All I can say is it worked in just a few days. Also, cleaning up often helps too. (07/10/2009)

By Maggie85

A dog licking his lips.
Dog Eating Its Own Feces
Bored Kid at a Restaurant
Keep Children Entertained When Eating Out
Couple being served a Salad
Eating Healthy While Eating Out
A bulldog eating too fast.
Preventing a Dog From Eating Too Fast
Dog Stool
Dog's Stool is Green
🎄