Dog Eating Its Own Feces

Today I noticed that after I fed my female Pit bull (6 weeks old) some food she seemed more hungry, then she ate her own poop. It was so gross. Why is that?

Also, I was told to give her a half cup of milk before bed time (warm)?
I need help, please.

By Betsy from Watertown, MA

Answers:

Dog Eating Its Own Feces

There is a product called distaste that gets the dog to not like its own poop. This is common. I don't know about the milk. I have a pit bull too. I would not give it milk, if anything I would give it evaporated milk if you had to. Why does you friend say to give it milk?

Here is the link for buying Distaste:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=19133

(01/31/2010)

By Robyn Fed

Dog Eating Its Own Feces

It sounds like your pup might have worms. That's the only reason that any of my foster pups do that, even though they had already been wormed. (02/03/2010)

By msfixit17

Dog Eating Its Own Feces

I saw somewhere that you should feed a dog pineapple if they do this. It tastes good when they eat it, but something in it deters them from eating the poop afterward. Hope it helps! (02/04/2010)

By wildmoonchild

Dog Eating Its Own Feces

My vet told me years ago that it means they need more protein in their diet. What kind of food do you feed your pup? Maybe you should change to a different (better) dog food. My dog stopped when we switched him from Purina to Eagle brand, an even better one is Blue. If you go into they're website, bluebuff.com, you can compare your current brand to theirs. They will even send you a $5 coupon if you request one. As for giving warm milk, most vets say the milk that we drink is not good for a dog, it can give them worms. (02/04/2010)

By kittyk96

Dog Eating Its Own Feces

Don't panic. The mother dog teaches the little ones that as a survival tactic. Also, it could be the poop and scoop if they see you doing it they want to help you. Sometimes they are missing different things in their diet. Mine is almost 2 years old and still does it. We have to keep a close eye on him when he is outside, and if he doesn't do it I give him a treat and praise him. Lots of dogs do it and you can find all kinds of articles on the net about it. It is a natural thing. If you want to talk about it you can email me at (hercybaby AT yahoo.com). Good Luck (02/04/2010)

By hercybaby

RE: Dog Eating Its Own Feces

A dog licking his lips.
Dog Eating Its Own Feces
Bored Kid at a Restaurant
Keep Children Entertained When Eating Out
Couple being served a Salad
Eating Healthy While Eating Out
A bulldog eating too fast.
Preventing a Dog From Eating Too Fast
Dog Stool
Dog's Stool is Green
🎉
🎄