Dog Eating Its Own Feces

Dog Eating Its Own Feces
I have a 12 week old standard Poodle puppy, it keeps attempting to eat its own poo! How can I stop this please, any tips or help? She is called Flo and is pictured here with our 7 year old white standard Poodle, Elly.

By Patrick from Long Melford, Suffolk

Answers:

Dog Eating Its Own Feces

My dog used to do the same thing and I happened to mention it to my mother. She told me years ago our dog used to do this and the vet recommended feeding the dog pineapple chunks. Pineapple is supposed to help in the breakdown of dog food for better absorption of all the nutrients in the food he/she eats thus depleting the need for the dog to eat poo for those nutrients lost. I started giving my dog 2-3 pineapple chunks in the morning right before he ate his breakfast (I bought Dole pineapple chunks in light syrup in the 24.5 oz plastic jars.) Within a week he stopped the poo recycling! Hopefully this is something you can try; I know not every dog will eat pineapple, but our boy, we learned is quite the combination of omnivore & carnivore. Good luck! (10/24/2010)

By sah71

Dog Eating Its Own Feces

Your dog is deficient in some nutrients/vitamins or protein. You need to get a better dog food and perhaps some vitamins that will give it the nutrients it needs. (10/26/2010)

By pqcheryl

Dog Eating Its Own Feces

I forgot to add just a couple of chunks of pineapple would be the amount to use, for a Great Dane I use 1 pineapple ring a day.

(10/26/2010)

By gr8dnm

Dog Eating Its Own Feces

It could be a nutritional deficiency and a supplement from the vet would remedy it. When your dog starts eating the feces clap your hands or tap her nose and say a sharp "no" to distract her. Keep persevering, it's worth it. What a beautiful photo of your dogs. (10/26/2010)

By granny r