Dog Eating Its Own Feces

It is not uncommon for a dog to eat its own or its puppies feces. There are several possible reasons for this behavior. This is a guide about dog eating its own feces.

August 31, 2016 Flag

My German Shepherd puppy is 5 months old. I noticed recently that she now eats her own poop. Please what do I do to stop it, because it's disgusting.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

This link may help.

http://www.petmd.com/dog/puppycenter/health/evr_dg_why_do_puppies_eat_poop

Please don't smack or shout at her it will only make things worse. Yes we know it's disgusting but dogs don't look at it like that. Good luck.

Marg from England

Ok , thanks

March 7, 2011 Flag

We have 2 pets and they eat their poop. I can't seem to break them of this habit. What do we do?

By Deb from Mason City, IA

You can purchase a safe product at the pet store that you add to the poop to make it taste bad. Other than that, you probably need to talk to your vet.

We had that problem with one of our dogs and the vet recommended sprinkling Accent meat tenderizer on her dry food because dogs love the taste when the food is going in, but the taste is terrible when it comes out. That did the trick for our dog!

I work in the pet industry and they do sell a few things for your issue (potty mouth) is the one that comes to mind, but I have also had customers tell me that they will give their dogs pineapple and another said pickles. I would double check with your vet to make sure, but they both taste good the first time but not the second time.

Hi Deb! you didn't mention the age of your pets or how long they have been eating their own feces. Is this a new or longer term habit?

All three of our dogs ate their feces as puppies and two of them outgrew the nasty habit between 8 and 10 months of age. However, the middle one (over six years old, now) still does so on occasion. Our only solution has been to keep the pooper-scooper handy and in regular use!

We've tried many of the "anti poop eating" products and nothing deters his appetite for the stuff. As well, his vet claims the dog is healthy with no obvious nutrient deficiencies that would cause him to crave poop. The darn dog just laps it up. :-(

If I were you, I would first work with your vet to eliminate any possibility of a health issue and then try some of the "anti poop eating" products. They do work well for many dogs.

However, just a "heads up" observation from experience that for some of these fur kids, the daily use of a pooper-scooper is the only sure fire solution in stopping the behavior. Good Luck!

February 15, 2010 Flag

We have a Great Dane that we got at a year old from a breeder. She was very thin, so we put her on Blue Buffalo large breed food and she has since gained weight. She has food to eat on demand at all times.

The problem is she has a disgusting habit of eating poop that she falls back into occasionally. I keep it cleaned up, but she seems to find it somewhere. I think from the condition she was in when we got her that maybe it was survival, I don't know for sure.

Does anybody know what I can do to make her stop this? I have never had a dog that has done this and I don't know what to do. Any help would be appreciated.
Thanks.

By Lyn from CO

Your beautiful girl is probably an Alpha female, and she is eating her poo, because she is supposed to. According to her doggie heritage. She's probably a really good mama. I had a female dog with puppies, and she ate all her puppies poo. I think it keeps predators away from them in the wild. It keeps wild predators from smelling the baby poo.

My mother had a couple of dogs, and ate poo, and she asked the Vet, and he said "don't worry about it, they do that." I have a male that is about 15 years old now, an Alpha Male, and he lives for his pups, and if allowed to, he will eat their poo. I don't like it either, but it's what they do. And the pups aren't even his, but he will protect them to the end. Your girl sounds like an Alpha Female. Embrace her, love her, and just try to keep the poo away.

I know how grossed out you feel, I have had the thing happen with our dogs. They are well fed, excercised, played with, and in general have a good life, but they love poo. Theirs as well as the other dogs. I've tried all kinds of additives to their food, putting tobasco, pepper etc on the poo, a shock from a training collar nothing seems to phase them.

The only solution that has worked is to put a muzzle on when they go out to do their "business". Then clean it up real quick. Then I get forgetful and they eat it. It has not made them sick. I have seen a couple of dog shows on TV and they all say it is almost impossible to cure. The owner has to be trained to clean up ASAP so the dog doesn't have access to the poop. Good luck and let me know if you discover an answer.

March 7, 2011 Flag

Dog Eating Its Own Feces
I have a 12 week old standard Poodle puppy, it keeps attempting to eat its own poo! How can I stop this please, any tips or help? She is called Flo and is pictured here with our 7 year old white standard Poodle, Elly.

By Patrick from Long Melford, Suffolk

Answers:

Dog Eating Its Own Feces

My dog used to do the same thing and I happened to mention it to my mother. She told me years ago our dog used to do this and the vet recommended feeding the dog pineapple chunks. Pineapple is supposed to help in the breakdown of dog food for better absorption of all the nutrients in the food he/she eats thus depleting the need for the dog to eat poo for those nutrients lost. I started giving my dog 2-3 pineapple chunks in the morning right before he ate his breakfast (I bought Dole pineapple chunks in light syrup in the 24.5 oz plastic jars.) Within a week he stopped the poo recycling! Hopefully this is something you can try; I know not every dog will eat pineapple, but our boy, we learned is quite the combination of omnivore & carnivore. Good luck! (10/24/2010)

By sah71

Dog Eating Its Own Feces

Your dog is deficient in some nutrients/vitamins or protein. You need to get a better dog food and perhaps some vitamins that will give it the nutrients it needs. (10/26/2010)

By pqcheryl

Dog Eating Its Own Feces

I forgot to add just a couple of chunks of pineapple would be the amount to use, for a Great Dane I use 1 pineapple ring a day.

(10/26/2010)

By gr8dnm

Dog Eating Its Own Feces

It could be a nutritional deficiency and a supplement from the vet would remedy it. When your dog starts eating the feces clap your hands or tap her nose and say a sharp "no" to distract her. Keep persevering, it's worth it. What a beautiful photo of your dogs. (10/26/2010)

By granny r

October 23, 2010 Flag

Will my 10 week old puppy get diarrhea from consuming her own stool?

By Phally from Fall River, MA

Answers:

Dog Eating Its Own Feces

You had better call the vet's office and find out why your dog is doing this. (03/30/2010)

By MCW

Dog Eating Its Own Feces

There are pills (and a powder) you can get to stop this. You put it on their food, and it makes their stools undesirable to them for eating. If you have a dog that likes to eat the cat litter, give the powder to the cat. (03/30/2010)

By KandS2

Dog Eating Its Own Feces

There is a medication called "Forbid" that you can give your baby. Please go to the veterinarian first. Good luck, (03/31/2010)

By K9cats

March 30, 2010 Flag

Today I noticed that after I fed my female Pit bull (6 weeks old) some food she seemed more hungry, then she ate her own poop. It was so gross. Why is that?

Also, I was told to give her a half cup of milk before bed time (warm)?
I need help, please.

By Betsy from Watertown, MA

Answers:

Dog Eating Its Own Feces

There is a product called distaste that gets the dog to not like its own poop. This is common. I don't know about the milk. I have a pit bull too. I would not give it milk, if anything I would give it evaporated milk if you had to. Why does you friend say to give it milk?

Here is the link for buying Distaste:
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=19133

(01/31/2010)

By Robyn Fed

Dog Eating Its Own Feces

It sounds like your pup might have worms. That's the only reason that any of my foster pups do that, even though they had already been wormed. (02/03/2010)

By msfixit17

Dog Eating Its Own Feces

I saw somewhere that you should feed a dog pineapple if they do this. It tastes good when they eat it, but something in it deters them from eating the poop afterward. Hope it helps! (02/04/2010)

By wildmoonchild

Dog Eating Its Own Feces

My vet told me years ago that it means they need more protein in their diet. What kind of food do you feed your pup? Maybe you should change to a different (better) dog food. My dog stopped when we switched him from Purina to Eagle brand, an even better one is Blue. If you go into they're website, bluebuff.com, you can compare your current brand to theirs. They will even send you a $5 coupon if you request one. As for giving warm milk, most vets say the milk that we drink is not good for a dog, it can give them worms. (02/04/2010)

By kittyk96

Dog Eating Its Own Feces

Don't panic. The mother dog teaches the little ones that as a survival tactic. Also, it could be the poop and scoop if they see you doing it they want to help you. Sometimes they are missing different things in their diet. Mine is almost 2 years old and still does it. We have to keep a close eye on him when he is outside, and if he doesn't do it I give him a treat and praise him. Lots of dogs do it and you can find all kinds of articles on the net about it. It is a natural thing. If you want to talk about it you can email me at (hercybaby AT yahoo.com). Good Luck (02/04/2010)

By hercybaby

RE: Dog Eating Its Own Feces

January 31, 2010 Flag

I know this is gross, but I have to ask if anyone knows what to do about a puppy eating its poo. How can I stop it and why is it doing this?

September 29, 2009 Flag

I have a 5 year old Cocker Spaniel who was used for breeding, the owner no longer wants her.

July 8, 2009 Flag

We have a Shih Tzu, it's about eleven weeks old and has started to eat its own poo every time it goes to the toilet.

December 16, 2007 Flag
Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
Pets Dogs AdviceApril 27, 2016
Bored Kid at a Restaurant
Keep Children Entertained When Eating Out
Couple being served a Salad
Eating Healthy While Eating Out
A bulldog eating too fast.
Preventing a Dog From Eating Too Fast
Dog Stool
Dog's Stool is Green
🎉
🎄