Dog Has Become Aggressive With Owner

Determining the cause of sudden dog on owner aggression is the first step in reestablishing a good pet and owner relationship. This is a guide about dog has become aggressive with owner.

October 31, 2015 Flag

I have raised my Pit Bull since she was 6 weeks old. She is a house dog and very spoiled and babied. She just turned one year old and suddenly she has become very aggressive. When she's sleeping or just laying down, and we go by her to kiss her or cuddle she growls and snaps. She bit me on the ear causing my face to bleed. What could cause this onset of aggression? Do females get aggressive in heat and bitchy?

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Your dog may have an injury or undiagnosed medical problem as her new behavior happened suddenly. Please take her to your vet to check on her current health and possible treatment to help her and you.

Your dog has always been dominant. You just didn't notice because you thought her puppyish behavior was cute and a sign she had spirit and personality.

You see your dog as your baby, but your dog doesn't see herself that way at all. Now that your dog is getting older she has decided that she is the dominant member of the pack, since you are so subservient to her.

Dogs do not treat their pack leader like you are doing.Getting right up in the face of the pack leader will get you a warning growl or even a bite. Invading the leader's personal space without warning or bending over the leader will get you "disciplined."

You have a large breed dog known to be an aggressive breed, yet you have taught her that she is the boss. This was a big mistake. If you don't want to get rid of her or even have to euthanize her when she gets older you will need to fix this ASAP.

First, she must stay off the furniture and bed from now on. Dogs belong on the floor, humans on furniture.

Next, she must sit patiently and wait for you to put her food on the floor. She must never lunge forward and start eating before you've set it down.

She must not sit under or near the table while you're eating. She must not beg.

On walks, she is to be on a short leash, not a flexi-leash, and conduct herself properly, not pull or lunge.

She must always drop anything she has when you say "Drop it," even her own toys.

She must have basic command training such as sit, stay, heel, etc.

It's unlikely that you'll want to do any of this since you see the dog as a child and not as a dog. But if your dog will bite YOU she will bite any stranger and at that time will be ordered to be put down. So don't delay teaching your dog that she is not your boss or any human's.

Treating your dog as your child is fine don't listen to this other person. You just need to establish who's boss that's all ... be stern don't let her get her way.

Sudden aggression from a previously reliable dog may well indicate that your dog is in pain. I'd recommend a trip to the vets to get her checked out.

Almost every 'observation' that you make about this person's dog is based on conjecture and you are, essentially, just parroting the outdated 'dominance' nonsense peddled by Cesar 'The Dog kicker' Milan.

I find your response objectionable, ill-informed and irresponsible.

Sorry you disagree.

The owner says the dog was "very spoiled and babied." Now the dog is aggressive. There is a reason for that.

Suppose you "spoil and baby" your child. Then this child gets to be a teenager, but you are still spoiling and babying him. Would it really surprise you if he started to misbehave? He has never learned to see his parents as people who can tell him what to do. And now he's bigger, he feels he no longer has to listen.

I see you don't like Cesar Milan. He has rehabilitated literally hundreds of dogs, but I suppose you would rather they all have been euthanized?

March 6, 2011 Flag

I am so sad because I was suddenly attacked by my own dog that I love very much. His name is Max and he is a German Shepherd. We've had him since he was eight weeks old and he's four and a half years old now. It is difficult for me to make the decision to put him down, but even the pound asked me why I still have him because they said it could be dangerous for me, my family, and the people around me. They are not giving me any options, because they said that if they catch him outside, I will be charged $1000 dollars.

So please, if anyone can help me I will greatly appreciate it. I know inside in my heart that he is a nice dog and he can be saved by someone that can help him. Thank you for reading this message.

Karla

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Before the dog does anymore bodily damage to you and others, take the dog to the vet for blood work and use a good muzzle that's easy to put on and take off for when the dog is around others to be on the safe side. If blood work comes back negative then see if you could get some of the dog's teeth pulled that cause the most bite damage if you can afford this and believe all else has failed before putting the dog down. IF the vet will consider doing this as a last resort, you can always feed the dog soft dog food. It's an expense, but if the dog is very healthy, young and playful I'd take it that much further.

Some dogs need plenty of exercise; does it get a lot of walks or do you take it to different places like the woods so it can sniff/smell? Lack of exercise is usually why a dog becomes aggressive as it's bored and frustrated being cooped up; especially a high energy type dog over the winter months.

I read that you can put a dog pack on a dog and load it down with some heavy items to help wear down the dog while he's walking and when the walk is over, the dog will be more relaxed. You might want to try this idea out too.

Your dog is allowed to be outdoors as long as it's on a leash or dog run confined so it cannot escape it's living quarters. You are still responsible should someone come onto your premise and the dog bites or a neighbor's child puts their hands through the fence if there is one and the dog attacks it. In this case it'll cost you more than $1000. fine but additional medical expenses and pain and suffering if you're sued.

Also, do a google search on the "alpha dog" type and learn what you can, to see if there's more noticeable signs in your dog that could make you say he is or isn't this type.

Does the dog sleep in the bed with you? Stop this right away and when the dog does act up, separate it from you for awhile. It needs to know that biting is not acceptable and also don't play tug of war games with the dog as this encourages aggression.

When a dog wins in the game with you; it already has figured out it's stronger and the leader. Make sure you are always coming out the winner.

Because you no longer can trust your dog completely then you need to be as cautious and careful with your dog as you can be. The surprise out of the blue w/o warning is stressful to the dog owner who has been attacked and you're living in a scary situation. Expect the unexpected. Pay attention to the look in the dog's eyes. You'll eventually see something there you overlooked before that is a for sure warning even though no growls or barks were heard. Jot down the full incident prior to the bite like what were you and dog doing. What kind of mood was he in before the biting began, Was it growing tired by the end of the day when heavy play started? Just anything you can think that might have triggered it. This may help to find the cause for his sudden change. Hope this helps.

Be really careful. I was in this situation. We adopted a great dog who was fear aggressive. He was fine with us but would get scared and nippy around noisy children (even though I had children) and strangers. I did a lot of work to socialize him, but eventually he bit someone out of the blue (a single tooth went in) and that person took my home-owners insurance company to court. If it hadn't been the first reported bite, the insurance company wouldn't have covered him. I had to put the dog to sleep and pay a ton of money to have him quarantined first even though he had shots. It was a giant mess. A lady at works beloved dog attacked her 3 year old daughter while they were out of town because the sitter let the little girl get between the dog and his food. The little girl needed surgery and 80 stitches. There's no way to know if something like this WILL happen, but you need to decide if the risk is worth it. Once a dog bites it's easier for it to bite the next time.

I recommend talking to your vet to make sure there isn't a medical cause. If you're dedicated to keeping your dog, invest the money and go to a behaviorist (in person, not online). I wish I had. They're going to know a lot more of what your choices are, than any of us in a forum.

My 4 year old dachshund will get aggressive with me at times; but he's never done it with anyone else. I've learned to recognize when and under what circumstances he does it. When we have company and his sleeping and daily habits are changed. When he's out of his home for any length of time like when we visit a relative or on vacation. I've learned his habits so I just stay away from him under those circumstances and let him rest in his crate or in his favorite chair. He has never bitten either of my Grandkids but I'm always carefull when he's around them because I don't want to take a chance. He loves the kids. When he gets overactive or plays for what I think is too long I'll put him in his crate and out of the way. Most days it's just him and me. I take him to the pet store to visit and he's always good with strangers. He goes to doggie day camp at the pet store and he's never bitten anyone. If your dog is aggresive with noone other than you try to figure out the where/why etc. I'm no expert but I'd think most any dog would get aggressive under certain circumstances.

Had he just been vaccinated? Mercury, aluminum, anti freeze, rotting animal tissue in vaccines often affects the brain. Vaccine damage can be treated. See a holistic vet who will treat with thuja and possibly other things. Google thuja on the internet and start your own treatment now. Purchase at better health food stores. do not touch tiny pellets with fingers. It should help. No more vaccines.

I don't have an answer but a question. Is the dog "fixed"? My son has a german shepard and his dog attacked his wife Twice! both times there was a nieghbor dog in heat and the dog hasn't been fixed. Could it be something along those lines?

Pets Dogs AdviceNovember 7, 2015
Aggressive Dog
Dog is Aggressive Towards Other Resident Dogs
Aggressive dog in the snow.
Dealing With an Aggressive Dog
Photo of a lady yelling at a driver.
Avoiding Road Rage
A new home.
Saving Money on Home Owner's Insurance
🎉
🎄