Dog Has Smelly Skin

I have a 7 year old Pit Bull. He has a terrible odor coming from his skin. We bathe him often and have tried so many different soaps. He confines himself in small areas and cries all day. He constantly is itching and biting until he bleeds. Do you recommend a special soap we could try or do you think this could possibly be allergies? Help please!

My sister's dog had allergies and eczema. Her skin also gave off an unpleasant odor. She had special cream prescribed by the vet. You cannot get those creams on your own, so I think a visit to the vet is warranted.

Most likely he has a yeast infection on his skin. He probably needs to see the vet for a prescription.

I, also, think a trip to the vet is the way to go. But until then, try a grain free food/diet (wet or dry) and Happy Jack Itch No More shampoo. I got the shampoo at Tractor Supply and it worked wonders for my pug mix. Check it out. Good luck with your baby!

Sounds very much like yeast fungus and or ear fungus. Probiotics help, also apple cider vinegar and water rinse poured over him after a bath. There is a special shampoo you can get that works on fungus called Malaseb. I had this issue with my spaniel. I put him on a grain free dog food, fed him yogurt daily, gave him probiotics and used the acv rinse after the Malaseb shampoo. It was a lot of work but saved him from steroids.

If it is yeast or fungus, you have to put him on a low-carb diet to really get it to go away. Yeast and fungus feed on sugar from carbs and you have to cut off the source. Put the dog on a high protein food with no grains at least until the other things you are doing to clear up the yeast work.

BTW, this also works for humans who are always having yeast and fungal infections. Starve the little buggers out.

He could have a UTI. I know that sounds weird, but my dog had this terrible odor coming from her for awhile. I assumed it was from swimming in our pond...even after baths. But turned out she had a UTI.

I don't have a remedy for you (yet) but I have reason to believe it could be allergies...I also have a pit who I adopted a few months back and she's been itchy ever since. She scratched so much she got a staph infection and the doctor told me it's likely from itchiness with allergies. The meds worked for a while but before she finished them, the allergies and itching came back. I noticed her eyes get red and puffy, she sneezes sometimes and now her breathing is clogged up also (like allergies). For her, it's outdoor allergies, hopefully just seasonal. I found a lot of home remedies for relieving the itch and moisturizing the skin but none for allergies other than keeping them clean and giving them Benadryl so far. Please let me know if you find something for allergies

I had three litters of AMerican Bullies. THe BEST is to :

1. Dry grain free dog food only

2. Bath in clean water, rinse and rinse again.

3. Walmart sells antifungul and antibacterial shampoo. USE IT. Twice a week.

4. NO SNACKS. ONLY whITE BONES NO BROWN ONES.

5. CLEAN BEDDING ONce a week in NO perfume washing soap

6. CLEAN bowls daily, use low grade NO perfume dish soap RINSE WELL IN CLEAN WAter

7. Buy bottled water for the dog to drink.

8. Keep cats and other pets, mice out of home, etc

9. Keep yard free of any chemicals and keep allergy causing grasses AWAY from where the dog runs around.

10. On walks DO NOT let dog sniff or go close to other animal poop.

11. Once a person called to say the dog may have eaten racoon poop in yard. KEEP YARD Free of all animal poops. Bullies are scavengers and eat anything. BEST OF LUCK

12. Put half teaspoon to every 3 cups of water in the dogs water bowl. Its uses are endless including keeping fleas at bay! Keeps allergies away! Vinegar! Miracle cheap aid! CLean!

try coconut oil on his skin. i've just tried it on my bullboxer for her stinky sore paws, and it worked really well. plus, they use it at Battersea Animal Rescue. Non toxic too. I also give my dog about two tablespoons of greek yogourt with active cultures every morning (thinking it's yeast that smells). i bathe her once a week or so using mild shampoo and epson salts in the water, and make sure I dry her completely. (even blow dry her - she loves it!) She's been scratching for years, and these are the things I've found that work.

It is absolutely allergies, probably to his food. Change to a grain free food, make sure protein is first ingredient.

Anonymous

My dog done that too! It's allergies

Anonymous

You should try 4 Legger shampoo

When I got my dog he was nine years old and had a skin condition ( itching himself constantly). I put him on a grain-free diet, I also found this company named 4 Legger that sells certified USDA organic shampoo, the one that I use is aloe vera and lemongrass. I also found this other company named Wondercide, the products that I use from them is natural and organic deodorizing spray it has no artificial colors, fragrances or alcohol in it ( it has healing properties) and through Wondercide I use this product called bentonite clay (when you have time read the benefits of bentonite clay). What I like about these companies is that you can buy sample sizes. It took about four months for him to fully heal but he is doing great now. I do have to mention that I did take him to the vet in the beginning but I was uncomfortable always putting him on antibiotics. I hope this helps!