Dog Has a Gas Problem

My dog has a lot of gas. Should I change his food?

By montaldi from San Antonio

Answers:

Dog Has a Gas Problem

Food could be the cause as well as parasites. And have you had your dog checked for worms lately?

(09/14/2009)

By Lorelei

Dog Has a Gas Problem

First, how old is your dog? We had a rescue, and she started getting a lot of gas. She was fairly old, then she started having seizures just before she died. Our Vet said her heart gave out.

Then, a dog we had, got older, was diagnosed with heart disease, and put on a water pill. Toward the end, she started having a lot of gas.

I do let my dogs have some human food, but I always make certain the food is completely cooked through, like potatoes, carrots, peas, and rice. I never let them have any raw meat, and if I let them have a little poultry, I always skin it, de-bone it, and take off any fat. Then I make certain they have something else to eat with it, because their stool is loose if I don't give them something else.

And, if something is spoiled for human consumption, I don't let my dogs eat it either. Also, I read about onions and garlic being bad for dogs, especially onions being harmful to their blood. I hope your dog turns out just fine! (09/14/2009)

By Carol L.

Dog Has a Gas Problem

It may be the dog's breed that causes it to have gas. If the dog has a short snout, like a Boston Terrier or Pug, it will have gas because it takes in a lot of air while eating because of the short snout. If your dog has a short snout, there isn't a whole lot you can do (my Boston Terrier was 13 when she died. Believe me, I know about dog gas!). If it has a regular snout, it is probably the food. A lot of dog food has fillers that aren't so healthy. Researching the best, natural dog food would be your best bet. (09/15/2009)

By inabsentia

Dog Has a Gas Problem

My dog is 3 years old. She was having the same problem. I was feeding her Benefuldog food. Changed it to something else and the problem stopped. (09/15/2009)

By brenda23

Dog Has a Gas Problem

We have a 15 year old dog with gas problems. I now make all his food. I cook up ground beef with some oats in it and add either macaroni or bread crumbs to it for his meals. He will still have gas on occasion but I think it is because he gets into something outside. (09/17/2009)

By Hill8628

Dog Has a Gas Problem

I heard a vet talk about this on a show years ago. He said most gas problems in dogs is caused by the dog food bowls being too low, and or dogs that eat while lying down. He said to put the dog food bowl up higher, as it aids in not getting so much air as they eat. Pet stores sell these tall feeders. I have a small doggie, and I just put his food on a foot stool and have not had gas problems. Good luck. (09/27/2009)

By meoowmom

Dog Has a Gas Problem
Woman at Gas Station
Gas Station Tips and Tricks
Gas Log Fireplace
Gas Log Tips
Buying Gas
Buying Gas Jokes
gas costs for road travel
Estimating Gas Costs for Road Trips
🎄