Dog Has a Hurt Toenail

Category Health
Dog Has a Hurt Toenail
Determining the extent of the damage and whether there are signs of infection can help define the course of action and treatment options. This is a guide about dog has a hurt toenail.

My neighbors dog was jumping down off of something and its toenail snagged. It has been slightly pulled out and is bleeding. They do not have the money to take her to a vet. The dog does not want anybody touching it and will not walk on it or put it down.

Deb from Gastonia, NC

Best Answer

Yes, it sounds like it may already be infected from your description of the dog's behavior. I would ask a vet, maybe you could find one that would treat your dog 'on a sliding scale', that is, setting a fee for his/her services depending on your income level.

Best Answer

First see if they can wash the area, call the vet and talk to them, most often they will tell you what to do over the phone. It could be peroxide and water will prevent an infection. Don't delay, infections can lead to much more, I know.

What can I do for my dog's infected toenail? It's not bad yet, is there anything I can try before I go to the vet?

By mrsarlo from Cumming, GA