Dog Itching and Chews Herself

My dog Chelsea is 9 months old. She is a chocolate Lab. She started itching about a month ago and I really wish I knew why. She bites her stomach around her belly button and now it's all pink and broken open and nasty looking. She also bites around her privates and it looks gross there too. I don't feed her anything unusual so I don't think it's that. I found one flea on her, but I'm pretty sure she is not infested. I bathe her with oatmeal flea shampoo and use the stuff you put on their neck. And if it was fleas, she would have been itching earlier. This started like a month ago. I'm just confused. I guess another vet visit is coming! Someone help haha.

By Savannah

Please take your poor dog to your vet. She has a problem that your efforts so far have not helped.

First of all - just because you don't feed her anything unusual doesn't mean she for sure doesn't have a food allergy. I once knew a dog that was allergic to beef. Dogs can also be allergic to wheat and soy which is in most dog foods.

Since it's so cold I doubt you've fertilized your lawn recently, but then again I live in Colorado and my lawn is covered in snow. You may live in a warmer climate. So consider, if you have fertilized, that your dog might be allergic to it.

It could also be mange. Depending on how often you wash her bedding (if very often) it could even be an allergy to the detergent. I suggest you go to the vet for a skin scrape to rule out mange. Then see if the vet can help you to narrow it down to something else.

If you dog does have a food allergy check this site for recipes and suggestions. There are a lot of posts on that subject. Good luck.

When you see one flea it means there are many more that you don't see, but rest assured, they are there. If a dog has a flea allergy, it doesn't take many to drive them crazy with itching. Think of just one mosquito bite on you! We have used Frontline spot on flea treatment monthly with great results.

My three year old blue pitbull broke out - red under belly, scabs on her head, boils on her legs. She was in heat when this happened in the back yard a lot. I was cutting the grass. She is three and we moved from a house with sunny back yard to a old house with a lot of trees. Its been two weeks and she looks horrible. I just got some epson salts and bathed her in it. will get back to everyone.

I can almost bet that it is fleas with a lab. They don't have allergies as bad as other breeds. Fleas will target privates and stomach first. I recommend getting advantage or some topical flea medicine from a vet instead of a store. It usually helps fleas, ticks, mites and worms with one monthly application.

Remedy for Dog's Itchy Skin
Remedy for Dog's Itchy Skin
Pets Dogs HealthMarch 5, 2015
A dog wearing a cone on it's head to prevent it from itching.
Home Remedy for Dog's Eczema
A dog in a crate
Dealing With a Dog That Chews
A dog itching in the grass.
Relieving Itching for Dogs
Puppy with pig ear chews.
Homemade Dog Chews
🐰
🍀
© 1997-2017 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 21, 2017 at 11:34:15 AM on 10.0.0.44 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.