Dog Keeps Running Away

How to stop my dog from running off?

Paityn from Arlington, TX

Answers:

Dog Keeps Running Away

We had the same problem with Buddy when he was young. The vet told us to have him neutered and it worked. He never did it again. Good Luck! (10/26/2007)

By Sophie

Dog Keeps Running Away

My 2 cents about the citronella spray collar; my dog did not react to it at all. It was meant to spray when she barks. My friends started teasing me about my "portable air freshener"!

My step-son thought it was funny to make her bark 'till the can of spray ran out. He's 26, and leaving home finally. Wish him luck. :-) (10/26/2007)

By nancycorinne

Dog Keeps Running Away

Apparently neutering does work. Our Jack Russell doesn't run away as often. There was no way I could have caught him, that was a job for the kids.

One thing we did was to stop chasing him. That helped. Apparently it's a game and if you don't play it, they will stop.

We live on a very busy street-highway and we finally had to give in to that he could very well be hit by a car. As much as we would have hated it, we couldn't have helped him when he got out. By not chasing after him, he seems to have stopped running away. We still don't trust him without a leash and probably never will. (10/28/2007)

By Noella

Dog Keeps Running Away

I have a 2yr old yorkie who is a pain with the front door and no neutering him did not stop his running out the door. He just bolts out and hauls butt FAST and he goes out barking his loudest. I used to have to chase him follow in auto until finally I quit and said sorry we will miss you and slammed the door behind him. I spied through the window, and you know what he never left the front lawn. He kept looking at the closed front door and after 5 minutes he came running back sat on the doorstep, and barked and cried and now he is not running out the door. Whew, wish I had done the tough love long ago but it worked.

(11/02/2007)

By meoowmom

Dog Keeps Running Away

I have an Irish soft coated wheaten terrier 11 months old. He is murder when he gets out the gate. Just sprints away like a greyhound, no chance of catching him . I have decided to keep him on the lead always when out walking and on a long chain in the garden. It sounds cruel but he will be knocked down otherwise, I don't know what else to do. (03/02/2008)

By robert martin

Dog Keeps Running Away

My 8 yr old Bichon Maltese does the same thing. He is not neutered and I don't know if it is too late to neuter him. He has run away one to many times, but it's never my fault. I'm just happy he's with me right now cuz I luv him! So now I'm putting my foot down. I will tell my parents to ask if its too late to neuter him, and if it is well then, it's plan B: I'll have to be more stern with him, and watch him every time he goes out to do his business. (03/24/2008)

(06/29/2008)

By Sally_Admin

Dog Keeps Running Away

We have a "runner" too, but hopefully solved the problem. We invested in a 50 foot yard tether and a very secure harness. The harness is hooked to the tether. Before she goes out, and she still has the freedom of running in the yard. (06/29/2008)

By DEBRADJ.

Rescue bolts if given the chance

Tonight I had my hands full and she ran out the door, down the driveway, down the sidewalk and into a busy street. She's a terrier mix, I have a scottie too, but he's good and if he gets out will stop dead in his tracks at my voice, but I've had him since he was a puppy.

This new dog, a female mix, is a rescue, so who knows if she was on the streets before or what. She thinks it's all a game. Tonight she stopped finally because two strangers were on the sidewalk and they grabbed her and then she came to me. I'm terrified she will get hit and I gave her the treatment tonight, picked her up and carried her into the house and put her down and gave her a firm scolding, not sure she'll remember it though. Help!? (07/05/2008)

By Allan

Dog Keeps Running Away

My 1 year old shitzu and my 3 month old German shepherd keep running away and I am getting tired of it. They have ran away 3 times plus today which make its 4 times. I just don't know what to do. Every time the gate accidentally comes open they just don't want to stay at home. I don't know what to do I am getting really tired I want to get ride of them right know I need to know what to do I NEED HELP! (08/25/2008)

Dog Keeps Running Away
Riding Mower
Riding Mower Running Rough
Dog Shaking Head
Dog Keeps Shaking Head
Riding Mower
Riding Mower Keeps Stalling
breaker box
Pool Keeps Tripping Circuit Breaker
🎄