Dog Marking Territory in the House

Dogs are very territorial by nature and mark their space to alert other dogs. This is fine in the wild, but not in your livingroom. This is a guide about a dog marking territory in the house.

I just got a 2 year old alpha male dog and I can't stop him from lifting his leg on everything. It's even worse now that my daughter lives with me, and she has a male dog. What can I do to stop this?

By Barbara from El Cajon, CA

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

You absolutely need an enzymatic cleaner like "simple solution" some grocery stores carry them in the pet isle but it is usually cheaper to get them in large quantities at a pet store or Wal-mart sometimes, especially if they have marked all over the house.

I'd also call your vet to make sure they don't have urinary tract infections or something medically wrong.

Best Answer

Crate training.

Best Answer

You don't say if he is neutered or not. If he isn't, get him neutered ASAP. Also, as someone else has said have a vet examine him because he could have a bladder infection, UTI, etc.

Best Answer

Check via Google for canine belly bands. A male who marks is just doing what instinct tells him to do so please don't punish them. You can find individuals as well as rescue organizations that sell male belly bands for less that $10 including shipping. I don't recommend you buy the ones at the pet stores as they aren't nearly as nicely made & cost almost 3 times as much. I just got one for our Yorkie granddog & we're thrilled. Well worth the investment as keeps dog & animal lovers both happy. :)

I'm not sure if neutering a male dog will stop this habit, but it may help the dog. Also, you can buy doggie bands for an incontinent male dog to use while indoors or to eliminate the markings inside the home. Here's two links that sell them, but once you see how one is made, you might be able to make several belly bands much cheaper for the price of one:

http://www.amaz  0/ref=pd_sbs_a_3

http://www.kenn  ategory_Code=BB2

We had a four year old male that started marking his territory inside. I asked my vet if neutering would help. He said at that age I had a 50/50 chance. Well, the 50/50 chance turned out to be in favor of me. The marking stopped. Plus, there is a very high incident rate of testicular and prostrate cancer in unneutered male dogs as they get older.

I do not think it will help if you get your dog neutered for the above reason. We had our jack russell/ terrier mix dog fixed at a very early age. (Maybe 2 mos. old) and he still marks his territory everywhere he goes!

I have a 10 year old, neutered Lhasa Apso, indoor dog. He has no known health issues. He knows to go out and will ask and be rewarder when he goes outside.

The problem started over the last 2 years. The 1st year I blamed on a neutered cat who has now passed. The dog will walk up to the end of my couch where it touches the floor, a fan sitting on floor, the leg of a wood chair, the bottom stair post, etc, lift his leg and spray those and other items casually. I rarely see him do it, but a few times he had done in front of me, smiles, and acts as though he had just scratched himself.

He is taken out regularly and rewarded when he goes. He will let us know when he does need to go out, so he understands what to do. He will wake me up each night about 4 to 6 AM to go out. This behavior has only started about 2 or 3 years ago. I had been blaming one neutered cat who has now passed away, so I learned that it was not him. Once in a great while, he will do it right in front of me with a nonchalant look and then rub up against me as though what he did was OK. Help. How do I convince him not to mark my household items?

Your dog is getting older. Take him to the vet to make sure he has no incontinence issues.

Are you cleaning those areas and where the cat was very well? He could be smelling something that is making him mark his area. I had a vet tell me once that even mouse urine can make a dog want to spray.

I have a one-and-a-half-year-old Pit Bull that I found in my yard last Thanksgiving. I tried to find him a home, but nobody wanted him so I kept him. I love him very much, but do not love how he keeps marking in my house. I thought everything was fine until I used a blacklight and it is everywhere. My house is now starting to smell.

I clean all the time, but he is still marking. I have tried a crate, but he is so scared he does not want to go get it. I know he is in need of training probably from a professional, but I do not have the money for that. He only does this when I am not here. I think he has separation anxiety. I am hoping somebody can help.

Has he been fixed? Sometimes that helps. I would limit him to one room when you are not home, one without carpet. Take him out to go right before you leave.

Make sure you clean it with an enzyme cleaner like Nature's Miracle, which removes the smell. Otherwise he will keep going back to the same spot. Keep him on a strict feeding and walking schedule.

I have a male dog who is 6 years old. He has been fixed for years and I thought that would stop him from marking on the corners of my furniture. He still has not stopped. He's ruining my furniture and I keep having to clean them, only to find he marked the corners again. My husband wants me to get rid of him. He is very healthy the vet checked him. Please help.

By Margi from IN

I had a miniature poodle who did the same thing. I got diapers for him on ebay. It required padding, so I cut a sanitary pad in half and used that. It worked very well. I would just change the pad when he was wet. It also gave me a revenge type pleasure when I caught him lifting his leg on my furniture, as he was urinating on himself. Of course, I washed him up.

You should try changing whatever you are cleaning the furniture with! Dogs often "mark" things to cover smells they don't like!

I thought of a way to protect my furniture from my sometimes indiscreet boy dogs by using vinyl flannel backed tablecloths. I don't want to use anything that requires me to directly attach the ruffle to the furniture (Velcro, buttons, hook and eyes, etc.), so, I guess heavy duty elastic would probably work best. Could anyone walk me through the process?

By Anna V.

Our 2yr. old Pug started marking in the house when he sees a cat or sometimes people passing our door. He is a very friendly dog with animals and people, but when he has a door between him and them he barks then marks. What do I do? He is neutered and was doing really well, then. Is there a right way to show or tell them that they are not doing right?

By tutu 808 from Honolulu, HI