Dog Not Eating

What should I do if my dog does not eat?

Jacquelyn from Laurel, MS

Answers:

Dog Not Eating

Are you just trying to get your dog to eat it's regular food? You need to try a "treat" like cheese or deli meat. If your dog will not eat a treat that is a sure sign that something is wrong.

I lost my beloved Buster because I hadn't noticed that he had not eaten in a few days. I tried his favorite treats, but he was not interested so we rushed him to the emergency vet. Turns out he had a tumor type growth in his abdomen that had burst and filled his insides with poison. He didn't get to come home.

A short while after that I had a co-worker telling me that her dog had not eaten in 2 days, treats or otherwise. I begged her to take her dog to the vet immediately. She reluctantly left work and called later to tell us that the vet had found a blockage. He had to have surgery. She sincerely thanked me later, because she would have waited if I didn't push so hard.

I am not trying to scare you, but basically the only way they can tell us something is wrong is through their eating and going habits. Please take him to the vet to rule anything out, especially if there is other abnormal behaviour. Laying in a new spot, restless, can't seem to get comfy? These could be signs of pain or discomfort.

About the ones with sensitive bellies, I give my 2 Rat terriers a heaping tablespoon of yogurt every day. I have discussed this with my vet. It does help to keep their systems regular. They have had to have medicines and have special foods in the past. The yogurt has eliminated the sick belly vet visits.

Tracey from Jacksonville, FL

(01/14/2009)

By TraceyI

Dog Not Eating

Chicken noodle soup is my home remedy. It worked for my Sheltie. Not sure what was wrong with her. Probably won't work for everyone. (01/15/2009)

Dog Not Eating

I hate to scare you, but your dog should go to the vet. My Lab mix stopped eating a few weeks ago, we tried baby food and canned dog food to no avail. She began to have breathing problems, too, so the vet took a chest x-ray and she had a huge tumor in her chest. We had to put her to sleep. Very sad. Just get the dog checked out by the vet. (01/16/2009)

By Marfette

Dog Not Eating

I'd say call your vet before you go. You can tell him or her about all your dog's symptoms over the phone, and if his or her condition calls for drastic measures, the vet's office can be prepared when you arrive.
Things to look for:

• Changes in basic habits: drinking more or less, toilet habits
  • Changes in behavior: sleep changes, whining, irritability
  • Physical symptoms: drooling, coughing, running eyes or nose, dry nose
Hope your beastie is doing much better soon. (01/17/2009)

By JustPlainJo

Dog Not Eating
Bored Kid at a Restaurant
Keep Children Entertained When Eating Out
sad dog
Dog Not Eating After Other Family Dog Died
Couple being served a Salad
Eating Healthy While Eating Out
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
Dog Peeing on Another Dog
🎄