HealthDogs

Dog Not Eating After Beginning to Recover from Parvo

I have a 13 month old bully. He had parvo. The diarrhea stopped 3 days ago and the vomiting stopped 2 days ago. I fed pureed pumpkin for stopping diarrhea and coating stomach. Plus Bounce Back for vitamins and electrolytes. Since he stopped vomiting and defecating his appetite has not returned. It has been 6 days and all he has eaten is the pumpkin and 2 chicken nuggets last night.

I started force feeding him pureed boiled chicken and rice today. He is walking around with his back hunched and stiff legged so I know his gut is still hurting. I've dealt with parvo before, but I've never had a dog go so long without eating. I've put him on 3 ml of penicillin 2x a day in case of secondary infection. So my questions are. Has anyone had this problem before with the appetite not returning for an extended period? Should I be forcing him with the chicken and rice? What else can I give him to reduce the irritation and swelling in his gut so he will eat?

It is more important that he drink than eat. Hopefully he gets a little stronger each day. It takes a while for them to recover.

He is probably still dehydrated. If so, his legs could be cramping and that would cause him to walk differently. Has he had iv solutions? Maybe d5w or basic saline if he is getting the electrolytes. (I would avoid d10 and is may lower his sodium and electrolites)...

I never allowed him to dehydrate. I use a solution called bounce back ( can be purchased at tax) it's like pedialite x 1000. He is tucking his gut .

Tsc not tax

It's better if you give him more water and stopped to serve chicken and rice.

It takes the time to recover or you can provide some foods if he likes to eat.

Thank you. Cheers!

You may also like to read our latest blog at http://www.amma  ert-safari-tour/

I personally do not think you should force feed him especially anything like table food that may be difficult to digest.

Vets usually recommend a soft easily digested diet for up to 2 weeks after a puppy has parvo.

Here is what my vet told a friend:

Do not feed table scraps. A home cooked diet is recommended (such as boiled chicken and white rice, or fat-free cottage cheese and pasta). It is important for your puppy's food to be easily digestible, so stick to the protocol from your vet.

Another recommendation is plain or vanilla yogurt but keeping them hydrated is more important than anything.

Hope he recovers soon and returns to normal "bully" behavior.