Dog Odors in a Basement

My son is selling his house and the basement has a horrible dog odor from where the dogs were kept. Can anyone suggest a solution I can apply to neutralize the smell? The area has a concrete floor.

Rose from Malvern, PA

Answers:

Dog Odors in a Basement

You can buy a product called OdoBan. Wal-mart sells it in a spray bottle, or you can get it at Sam's in gallon jugs of concentrate. Either way, spray it liberally on the floor and let it set for a few minutes before you mop it up or hose it off. It might take a couple of times, and I'd just leave some on the floor to dry when you finish. It has a pleasant, clean scent. Good luck! (04/08/2008)

Dog Odors in a Basement

You can try sprinkling the area with a liberal amount of baking soda and letting it sit overnight. Then vacuum or sweep the next day. Follow that with 2 cups of white vinegar mixed with 1 gallon of water. Mop the floor, then rinse.

A second or third round of treatment may be required if it's really bad. But I had good luck with this. (04/08/2008)

By Matoaka

Dog Odors in a Basement

Put a few sheets of foil or newspaper down with charcoal briquettes laid out on it. Better yet, smash up the charcoal (outside) down to marble-size chunks first. (04/12/2008)

By kimhis

Dog Odors in a Basement

Try spreading coffee grounds on the floor. Fresh grounds, not used. We had a problem with cat odor and it helped a lot. Leave it there as long as it takes. (04/13/2008)

By kflocey

Dog Odors in a Basement

I have a dog that sometimes makes a mess in the basement on the concrete floors. When this happens, I wash the floor with bleach and hot water. Smell is gone and the floor is nice and clean.

Karyn (04/15/2008)

By Karyn01

unfinished basement
Removing Odors from a Basement
Organized Basement
Organizing and Cleaning the Basement
Finishing a Basement
Finishing a Basement
Bucket catching leak.
Cleaning Up a Water Leak in Basement
Man Remodeling a Basement
Remodeling a Basement
🎉
🎄