Dog Peeing Inside House

We recently moved into a new home, and our 4 year old male Jack Russel is peeing randomly throughout the house. He's always very ashamed of himself after doing it, so he knows it's wrong.

We've had the carpets cleaned and a doggy door installed so he can go out anytime he feels the urge, yet when we are not looking he's not just marking, but full on pee.

What do I do? Making him an outdoor dog is out of the question because of our climate, and he's literally like my 3rd son. Diapers come to mind. Maybe that will shame him into going outside.

By Kim from Denver

Feedback:

RE: Dog Peeing Inside House

My grown cat did the same thing. The vet put her on an anti-depressant for about a month and she stopped. (03/04/2010)

By kwnkm

RE: Dog Peeing Inside House

You should take your dog to the vet to rule out any medical problems. Then, if everything is good, the vet can make recommendations to modify this behavior. (03/04/2010)

By mrs.story

RE: Dog Peeing Inside House

I don't think the dogs feel shame, just that you are unhappy with him for doing it. I know you have to clean the spot well enough so he won't smell that areas urine anymore. I have a Yorkie that did this with a previous owner, and now with us sometimes.

He was purchased from a pet store, and he was a puppy mill puppy. They have no family members or mom to teach them what to do, therefore our Yorkie doesn't go to the door to let me know he wants out. So now every single time I go to the bathroom, I let him out to go also. I think it is helping, but spanking or making them feel bad about it doesn't work. I hope this could help a little.

I have thought about a little diaper while we're out, but haven't done it yet. Good luck! (03/04/2010)

By dogsinspire

RE: Dog Peeing Inside House

Since it happened since you moved to your new house, I believe there is trace urine from a former dog that lived there. Use some of the new Oxicleaners to clean all your floors. You can use a blue light to see where there is any urine remaining. With a fresh start he should be okay to go back to his old routine of "going" outside. (03/06/2010)

By kathyj311

Sad puppy laying next to wet spot on the floor with human finger pointing at it.
Dog Peeing in the House
Dog Pees in the House When Excited
Dog Pees in the House When Excited
Senior dog laying on wood floor in home, looking sad
Old Dog Peeing in House
Dog Standing on Carpet
Preventing a Dog From Peeing on Carpet and Rugs
guilty dog
Dog Peeing and Pooping Inside
🎄