I had two dogs a chocolate Lab 13 years old and a Pomeranian 4 years old. My lab passed away a week ago, since then my Pom is peeing in the house. I will take her outside to the garden and walk around with her, but she will not go. She waits to come in the the house and pees indoors. I have scolded her and punished her, now I find her licking her pee or drinking it from herself. Please help I don't know what to do?
By Dee from Honolulu, HI
Do not punish or scold her! She is in mourning! How would you like it if your best friend that you lived with passed away, and you were scolded or punished for wetting your pants or your bed, because you were upset and confused? Is it possible you can take her to choose her own new best friend at your local animal shelter? (10/26/2010)
Take her to the Vet to make sure nothing else could be wrong. It does sound like she is so heartbroken. Maybe get her a companion closer to her age. This way they could old together. Please give her some time. Best Wishes to both of you. (10/26/2010)
That poor baby! Please don't punish her, she is grieving. You should probably have her checked by a vet, stress can cause physical problems that might need to be treated, or maybe she needs a sedative. Or like Deeli said, take her to the animal shelter and see if she's interested in a new friend to fill her empty space. That is so heart breaking, that poor little girl!
My parent's had a 1/2 wolf,1/2 dog they had to give up when I was little because he wasn't good with kids, he lived in the country with his new family and their other dog was his best friend. When that dog died, this dog laid on his friend's grave and literally mourned himself to death! They buried him next to his buddy. (10/26/2010)
Aww, please do not scold/punish her, she is grieving. She is upset and doesn't know what to do. She is probably looking for her friend around the house and is confused. Please be kind to her, and take her for an exam. (10/27/2010)
I am a rescue mom and I highly recommend a few things for your dilemma. First, get to a pet store and buy her a little diaper to wear to protect your rugs and furniture. Simply put a poise pad in there to contain the urine if she pees. This might curtail it. Just as a baby who doesn't like the "wet feeling" from peeing her diaper.
Next, visit a shelter, let her see other dogs and /or just walk her around a pet store where she might encounter other dogs. She is grieving, and just like humans is going through an angry stage. She is mad that her companion left her. I'm sure you're not hurting her by "punishing" her and that you didn't mean it to sound as harsh as others took it, but she must be corrected.
As soon as you take her in and she goes to pee, pick her up and put her outside immediately, to let her know this won't be tolerated. She needs to relearn. Was she a puppy mill dog or something who used the other dog as her socialized partner to learn and watch from? Please be patient with her. She is just sad. Hold her and tell her it will be ok. She needs to feel safe again and obviously the lab made her feel safe, visit a friend who has a larger dog. That might help too. Good luck. Lynne (10/27/2010)
Add your voice! Click below to comment. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom!