Dog Peeing on Rug Since Death of Other Pet

I have just lost my older dog, who had bladder problems. I had to have her put to sleep a couple of weeks ago. I know my Yorkie Poo has grieved for her. Now all of a sudden she has peed on the rug just like the older dog would do, although I got a new area rug. Could this be the reason? She has always been trained to use puppy pads and has been very good about it. Your thoughts please?

By M.V. Adams

Best Answer

The yorkie has made a mistake. She thought the old dog was peeing on the rug for a reason. She did not realize it was a medical condition. Now that he is gone she has taken over the peeing on the rug duties. You should be able to train her out of this, but she might be confused for a while.

We also lost our older male dog who had special things about him and we noticed our female dog began picking up those traits of his and acts a lot like him now. She was never much for being a guard dog like our male, but now she has resumed his habit. We don't understand why, but perhaps it's something that is strongly remembered and creates a bond whether the habit is good or bad. Whatever the cause, we have a part of our older dog with us too.

Dogs do teach each other and they learn quickly to repeat those things. That's why it is easy on us when we introduce a new pup in the household and our older dogs are teaching them to go potty by observation and repetition. One dog will sniff out the place where the other dog peed and use it. You may even notice strong traits your older dog had that your other dog is now doing besides the in house bathroom duty.